Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Computer performance should not cost more than our Cameras!

Re: Computer performance should not cost more than our Cameras!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Not too very long ago I had bought my first external hard drive (a Maxtor something or other) and stored a ton of photos on there and deleted them from my hard drive. Within a very short time, the external hard drive stopped working and I could not retrieve any of my photos. After many tears shed, I went and bought two more (HP and Seagate) and they have been working flawlessly but I still do not have my faith restored....Well, tonight I bit the bullet and deleted MANY photos from my computer and I am not the proud owner of over 100 GB of free space!

Two external HDD's are great, but are you storing the same data on both drives? The idea is to have every file stored on at least two drives - that can be one internal drive and one external drive, or two external drives. Ideally, you'd have the external two drives stored in two different locations (home and work, etc.).

Another option is an online backup service - I've heard good things about Mozy, and $55/year for unlimited storage seems pretty reasonable.

Hi Denise, finally sorted my computer dilemma to a stage that I am happy with. Maybe a lot of people on this site wouldn
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U
    But back to this topic, I prefer Burger King to Mac

Blahh to both...I prefer custom made home cooked burgers. You can put what you want in them and if you raise the stuff yourself you can save a buck.

Hi Denise, finally sorted my computer dilemma to a stage that I am happy with. Maybe a lot of people on this site wouldn't work with it but it is done. Took me 5 times longer than somebody that knows what they are doing, but oh well.

CS5 worked fine on my old computer, but when I booted up the Nik HDR, it said file not responding, don't open multiple files. I was only opening one file, so I didn't think I was pushing it too hard. With Windows7 64 bit, it all works fine. The 64 part is the important part. I don't know if the new DXO software would work with 64 or 32bit, but programmers and programs are all moving towards 64bit now and I think you would be surprised at how good Win7 64 is.

Hi Steve -

You should be pretty proud of yourself that you were able to complete the task no matter how long it took! Congrats!!! My next task at hand is that I just ordered 2GB of RAM from TigerDirect to put in my computer. I am hoping that I will be able to (with the help of my daughter) do this myself. Sounds pretty painless, take the back off the computer and stick them in the slots, how hard can that be!? [^o)] That way I won't have to take it to my coworker ...yet. Hopefully, this will solve all of my "NOT RESPONDING" problems!

So am I correct in saying programs either work with 32bit or 64bit but not both?? I am afraid to make the switch from Vista (even though I despise Vista) to Windows 7 because I heard sometimes not all programs transfer and there can be problems. But then again, I went from Windows ME to Vista ...so I know nothing but problems! [:P]

Denise

Look I know just about enough to stay out of trouble, I don
    Steve U

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    ...I prefer custom made home cooked burgers. You can put what you want in them and if you raise the stuff yourself you can save a buck.

That sounds delicious, I'm with you 100%.[Y] I drive around all day for my work and drive thru's are too convenient during the week.

How many bytes to one burger?[]

Cheers,

Steve
    Steve U

I don't know how Vista handles extra RAM, but the thing with Windows7 is 32 bit will only ever read 3 GB of RAM, even if you put 12 GB in it, it only reads 3 and effectively operates at just above 2.

So, my solution to my problems may not be a solution at all!? []

I am one step from going to Best Buy today and getting Windows 7. this may be a really dumb question but if I do this, my computer will still take the same type of RAM product I purchased from TigerDirect yesterday, correct? I know there were many types my coworker was looking at yesterday to decide what type my computer would take & I don't know if he was basing his decision on my computer or Vista.

If anyone cares to give me any help/suggestions on how I go about switching out from Vista to Windows 7 please let me know (here or PM). I am too impatient to wait for my coworker to do this for me on Monday. Best Buy opens in an hour ...any advice GREATLY appreciated!

Should I just install the RAM and see what it does for me? Should I take the leap to Windows 7 and if so, HOW!?

Denise

Hi Denise...

Add the extra memory modules first and go from there. However keep in mind that if you have a total of 4GB or more and you are running Vista 32 bit, your system will not recognize more than 3GB.

If you should upgrade the OS, it is not that simple. Sure you can pop a disc in and upgrade, but in my opinion, I would backup all things *holy* and perform a complete install, as in formatting the system drive. If an upgrade from the original OS is performed to Win7, then those errors or issues you had previously, tend to follow or migrate to the upgraded OS. Besides if your current rig is 32bit and you want to go to 64bit, then you have no choice but to format.

Oh, you will need to download the 64bit drivers as the 32bit versions will not work if you go 64bit.

Feel free to PM at enatale99@rogers.com

Emilio
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Whew!!! After 12 hours of attempting to go from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit, I am finally up and running!! [] And WOW, what a difference!! Everything is running flawlessly and I haven't even installed the additional 2GB of RAM yet ...that comes viaUPS tomorrow! DxO Pro 6.5 is now actually working for me!!!!!I didn't realize how bad I had it until now seeing everything move so quickly without hesitation! Going from Windows ME to Windows Vista to Windows 7, I am now doing the happy dance!! [<)]

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions and thank you very much Emilio for the PM!!

Now ...onto reinstalling the rest of my programs! Have a great day everyone!!

Denise

Nice to hear Denise, congrats you have done very well. [Y]

Steve
    Steve U