Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the Best Way to Post Pictures

What is the Best Way to Post Pictures

Here is the problem:

I use DPP to work over my picture, I convert it in DPP and save it to a JPG format choosing 360DPI and resizing it to 800 so it can post here. The converted picture looks fine viewing it with Adobe Bridge. I then upload it to this site. I open it up on the site and the picture degrades from my computer to the site.

Its no longer sharp and has gotten noisy. This is more likely to happen with a picture with high ISO.

So whats the best way to convert with DPP and upload to the site? Any suggestions?

Re: What is the Best Way to Post Pictures

Personally, I use flickr then embed the image into my post (using rich formatting--HTML button). That seems to work best for me, and I don

In all honesty, Converting an image to 360dpi for posting on the web is a waste of time. You only need resolutions that high if you are printing your pictures. Most computer monitors will only display an image at about 72.

Nevertheless your problem is more common than you might think. One thing that helps is monitor calibration, proper color space settings, how you actually process and save the image, as well as where you are uploading it.
    Before you do anything make sure you have the Color Management is set appropriately so what you are seeing is more representative of what you will see on any monitor or once it is saved to Jpeg. The Internet Standard is sRGB, and since you're saving your pictures for display on the web, make sure the working color space is set to sRGB. as well as setting the color matching setting, for display set to sRGB.

Are you doing any kind of Noise Reduction?
    In DPP click the tool icon and select the NR/Lens/ALO tab and tweek the Luminance and Chromatic Noise Reduction as needed on those high ISO pictures.

When you are converting your pictures with DPP what is the Quality Slider set on?
    Typically to save space and keep the byte size of your pictures low you would turn it down, however, doing so also reduces the image quality. Often when you upload your images to some web sites as an attachment or a site with very limited space, they might also be using some kind of image compression which will degrade the quality of your image even more.

Is DPP the only Image editing / processing software that you are using?
    I see you are also using Adobe Bridge, so I assume you also have Photoshop CS*. I would use that to do any noise reduction, resizing and conversion to jpeg instead of DPP. Color management suggestions above also apply to PS. (working with RAW files, the in camera Color Space setting doesn't matter what it is set to, only if you have the camera set to save you pictures as jpeg does that matter)

Have you tried any other Image hosts such as Photobucket.com or Flickr?

I use multiple image hosts to include Photoshop.com, Photobucket.com, Flickr, and Picasa(google). IMHO, Photobucket is the easiest of all those, and all you have to do is copy the link provided after you upload your image to post them in forums. When using an off site image host, you will be less likely to run into the problems you are describing.

tker

Thanks. 360dpi is just the default that shows up in DPP. I didn

HDN......I've started inserting pix straight from my library by using the rich text option when replying on this site. Then on the tool bar, 10th icon from left, there is an insert photo option.

I use LR and CS3 and when I want to post at this site now....I size the pic for this site. IMO, eliminating the middle man, e.g. flickr, photobucket, etc, my pictures look better (sharpness & color) than transferring them from a 3rd party.....my eyes, my monitor, plus it's simpler and quicker.

Just another approach....

Bill

Could also be the interpolation method used when resizing the images.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/630x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-47-09/ElkWithAttitude2.JPG[/img]

OK this is an experiment to see if fliker will be any different than from this site. First one is this site.

Next is from fliker

[View:http://community.the-digital-picture...neric/utility/:550:0]

Ok...it took a bit but I finally got both posted. The Fliker picture to me is a little sharper.

This wasn't the sharpest picture to start, but I could tell the diference in the two.

I think it was the website here changing the picture

The color is different, certainly. But the TDP-hosted one looks like it was resized (or the Flickr image is larger). When you post an image to this site, in the Insert Image dialog box there's a max width field, which is pre-populated with 550 pixels. If you blank out that field, the original size image will be shown as long as it's no wider than ~800 pixels. Perhaps make the image 800 pixels wide, then upload to Flickr insert the original size from Flickr, and upload the same image to this site being sure to delete the 550 value in the dialog box.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

The color is different, certainly. But the TDP-hosted one looks like it was resized (or the Flickr image is larger). When you post an image to this site, in the Insert Image dialog box there's a max width field, which is pre-populated with 550 pixels. If you blank out that field, the original size image will be shown as long as it's no wider than ~800 pixels. Perhaps make the image 800 pixels wide, then upload to Flickr insert the original size from Flickr, and upload the same image to this site being sure to delete the 550 value in the dialog box.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Neuro

Last night I messed with the size for some time trying to get them close. Flikr gave me 3 options for size, 500, 600 and 800.

After reading your post I realized I was working at this wrong and should resize it on TDP to match flikr. The one posted from Flikr is at 600....I adjusted the one from TDP to match the screen size width and its width is 630.

I corrected them above, now they should be easier to compare. The picture is the same, but to me the one on TDP lost somthing in the upload