Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self Introduction

Re: Self Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by tkerr

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

If you have not done so, you need to post this one on the "
    <h4 class="post-name"]-NEW- Assignment 14: Be creative with Depth Of Field" thread</h4>

You make me want this lens or possibly the new Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM Lens Review

Mark
    Mark

I had already posted a different picture in that thread, but I see according to the rules you can enter more than on so I posted this one there also.

Hello everyone, my names Lee, i live in Wales, UK and have just joined having had this site recommended by the owner of a Camera shop from where I have recently purchased my first DSLR. I have been interested in photography since I was about 17yrs old. I joined the military shortly before my 18th birthday and fortunately, my travels took me all over the world. The camera which stood me in good stead, being a budding amateur, was a Olympus OM10 35mm, which is still in good working order today surprisingly, having only had one

Quote Originally Posted by LeeBee

Hello everyone, my names Lee, i live in Wales, UK and have just joined having had this site recommended by the owner of a Camera shop from where I have recently purchased my first DSLR. I have been interested in photography since I was about 17yrs old. I joined the military shortly before my 18th birthday and fortunately, my travels took me all over the world. The camera which stood me in good stead, being a budding amateur, was a Olympus OM10 35mm, which is still in good working order today surprisingly, having only had one 'MOT' in its lifespan. The camera i have now taken on is a Canon EOS 20D so i am in the 'getting to know you' stage. I am here really to pick up any hints/tips/experiences and possibly to ask what some may think as real basic questions but I want to get the best out of the camera. My favourite type of photography is landscapes, so any advice or info on lenses/light/etc etc will be more than welcome.

Many thanks for reading this, hope to hear any tips real soon.

Lee

Welcome. I am also very new to this forum, but have been around other photography forums for a little while longer.

For most landscape photography you will most likely be utilizing natural light, so you should not need anything on the order of lights or flashes. On the other hand if you also like to take portraits or other forms of indoor photography, even some out door photography such as Birding, then you can benefit from a good Flash unit or two. I personally use the Canon Speedlite 580 EX II.

As for lenses, since your main interest is landscape photography you will probably want to stick with shorter focal length lenses. Prime lenses will usually give you the sharpest image when compared to the performance of most Zoom lenses. But Zooms are nice for many situations when out shooting landscape, especially if you don't want to be changing lenses back and forthe. Canon has some nice EF lenses that would be great for that purpose.

A sturdy tripod is essential for many situations unless your shooting something like birds in flight. Another thing to have along with you is a Remote switch. Then of course there are various filters to consider, for landscape photography I would seriously consider a good Circular Polarizing filter, and for things like water falls and such a good Neutral Density Filter.

Welcome, LeeBee!

Tim!

Didn
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston

Tim!

Didn't realize you were in NC! I was revisiting your website to show my wife your pic of jupiter. Are you in Jacksonville at camp lejeune? Just in reference to your time in the Corps.

At any rate. Welcome to NC as well. My wife grew up in Jacksonville, NC. Though she is probably from one of the only non-military families that live there.

Dave.

I live in Hubert close to the triangle out post (back gate) of CLNC.

Thanks Tim for that advice, will be putting it to good use this weekend.

Lee