Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: RAW vs Jpeg why?

Re: RAW vs Jpeg why?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

LOL. Ok, but before there was RAW vs. JPG, there was FILM vs. ...well, ok, there was just film.

There was Colour vs. Black-and-White?

Ok....once again, thoughts and insight from this forum has pushed me to make a change,my camera settings just went from "JPEG" to "RAW + JPEG."

One thought I had was that be taking my photos in JPEG and learning post-processing last I would better learn the strengths and weaknesses of my camera and lenses and overall, better learn to do everything "in camera." Now maybe this is a legitimate reason or maybe this was simply rationale to prevent making a change. I am curious if any of you see the benefit of "learning" shooting JPEG and switching to RAW once your skills have reached a basic level.

That said, I

Once I really got started with RAW files, I went back to old RAW files taken while shooting RAW+JPEG, and both rescued and improved several old photos..

Just don

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

Ok....once again, thoughts and insight from this forum has pushed me to make a change,my camera settings just went from "JPEG" to "RAW + JPEG."
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Saving both RAW and Jpeg is fine if you have a large memory card, or multiple memory cards, or don't shoot that many pictures at any given time. If you don't have large and or multiple memory cards you might want to save a little space. I know we're only talking Kbs for each jpegs vs Mbs for each Raw, but those Kbs accumulate into Mbs also.
    I've been to events such as an Air Show where I have filled multiple 16 gb cards. Even if I don't make any changes to the pictures I know I can always export/save them as Jpegs on my Computer.

Besides, I also use my camera for astrophotography where I always save exclusively to Lg-RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

That said, I'll start giving RAW a chance.

Same. I figure it's high time I had a looksee. Now I have to go and install more software though! []

You lot will probably want me to calibrate my monitor next...

Paul