Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RAW vs Jpeg why?

RAW vs Jpeg why?

I came across a question on another forum which got me wondering about something. The person is having problems processing his Jpeg images in Photoshop.

Personally I always shoot in RAW with only one exception, and that is when I plan to shoot a simple Time Lapse sequence that I am going to put into animation. Then I

Re: RAW vs Jpeg why?

I like tweeking my images, so i use raw.

I shoot raw + jpg. I have tried both work flows and find jpg a faster work flow. Approx. 90% of my shots are exposed well enough that I do not get a benefit from the raw. For the few that I have missed the exposure i go to the raw, adjust and convert to jpg.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by tkerr

I came across a question on another forum which got me wondering about something. The person is having problems processing his Jpeg images in Photoshop.

Personally I always shoot in RAW with only one exception, and that is when I plan to shoot a simple Time Lapse sequence that I am going to put into animation. Then I'll shoot Sm-Jpeg just to save a few steps on the way to video rendering; otherwise I shoot exclusively Lg-RAW knowing that I can rest assured that I will have all the image data possible to work with if necessary instead of trying to work with a precooked image.

Anyways, I got to wondering, so I will put this question out there to everyone here. How many, if anyone here that is using a DSLR shoots in anything other than RAW, and if so why?

When I first started shoting I shot JPEG...I regret that now because I now wish I could go back and do some work on some.

BUT...I do shoot JPEG just for the purpose you described. My Kids and I make clay stop action animation. You cant save it in a large format otherwise you have to resize it in photoshop. The idea is to cut the resizing process down.

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

I shoot raw + jpg. I have tried both work flows and find jpg a faster work flow. Approx. 90% of my shots are exposed well enough that I do not get a benefit from the raw. For the few that I have missed the exposure i go to the raw, adjust and convert to jpg.

Mark
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

What Color Space do you have your camera set to use?

Quote Originally Posted by tkerr

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

Mark

What Color Space do you have your camera set to use?

sRGB
    Mark

You guys already mentioned that RAW gives you more flexibility in post-processing, which is - of course - absolutely true. But for me, there is one more major reason I never use JPEGs to shoot my images: JPEGs are 8-bit and they simply do not contain all the important color and tonal data necessary included in RAW files to achieve high quality photos.

Even if your printer is not capable of using 16-bit information, all post-processing and tweaking should be done in 16-bit to preserve smoothness of transitions/gradations in your photographs. It is equally important for color and B&amp;W. Only after you process, you could convert to 8 bits.

And BTW, the pro line of Canon printers is capable of printing in 16 bits, which, of course, stretches the gamut and makes both color and tonality richer.

For those who only view their photos on computer or TV screen, JPEGs are good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    When I first started shoting I shot JPEG...I regret that now because I now wish I could go back and do some work on some.

I can't tell you how many times I have come across this. I have plenty of old shots that I can't do as much with because of their almighty jpeggy-ness Back when I started, I didn't know jpeg was such a "lossy" medium until I came to these forums.

I went RAW around a year or longer ago and will prolly never go back.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Check out the video clip - Digital Photography- Six Lies

It may not convince you but as many have said, memory is cheap. So shoot both raw + jpg

Getting back to the basics of photography is to capture the best image you can. Then your post processing is not correcting but enhancing.
    We can discuss the issue forever but at the end of the day you need to decide what is right for you and your customers.
    Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter

You guys already mentioned that RAW gives you more flexibility in post-processing, which is - of course - absolutely true. But for me, there is one more major reason I never use JPEGs to shoot my images: JPEGs are 8-bit and they simply do not contain all the important color and tonal data necessary included in RAW files to achieve high quality photos.

Even if your printer is not capable of using 16-bit information, all post-processing and tweaking should be done in 16-bit to preserve smoothness of transitions/gradations in your photographs. It is equally important for color and B&amp;W. Only after you process, you could convert to 8 bits.

And BTW, the pro line of Canon printers is capable of printing in 16 bits, which, of course, stretches the gamut and makes both color and tonality richer.

For those who only view their photos on computer or TV screen, JPEGs are good enough.

And with those comments brings into question color space and color management, sRGB vs Adobe RGB etc. Now I know if you shot and process RAW files it doesn't matter what your cameras color space is set on. RAW files already contain all the image data. However if you do shoot in Jpeg, especially for prints then it does matter.
    A popular misconception is that sRGB is the industry standard. Maybe for wally world but not a professional photo print shop or for publication. sRGB is the Internet standard, not the industry standard for print.

What are your Workspace and color management profile settings in your image processing software, and your printer? Ever wonder why your pictures don't look the same when you print them as they do on your computer screen?

What resolution is your image vs dimension size. i.e 72ppi or 300ppi. For the internet 72 is pretty much the standard, however for print 300 is often the recommended.