Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini bake-off: DPP vs. DxO

Re: Mini bake-off: DPP vs. DxO

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

DxO does come with many presets to suit individual tastes...
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]

Thanks Denise!

It looksnice for lens correction and noise reduction, and as long as it has customizable sliders, then one can certainly tailor the photo to suit their needs.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Are these your own edits or are they presets?...It seems that the program is adding contrast, sharpness, saturation, vibrancy while removing somenoise.

For both DPP and DxO, I used 'default' settings. For DPP, that included the Standard picture style (which increases contrast and saturation relative to Neutral or Faithful, for example). For DxO, I used the Default v2 preset. Although I didn't use them for the test shots I included, DxO has sliders for everything - the 'presets' just pre-populate those sliders with a set of values, but everything can be adjusted to taste (and saved as a custom preset, if desired).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    They are specific to the camera, but there are several important differences...Overall, DXO has a significant advantage in this area, as long as the user's bodies/lenses are covered.

Thanks for the clarification, Daniel!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Firestarter - since you clearly did not end up with DxO ( [img]/emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img] ), did you end up with Aperture or Lightroom, or something else entirely? I had considered Aperture as well, but it doesn't offer lens corrections, something I'm not willing to trade even for the Apple UI. Personally, I do use iPhoto for organizing my library (of jpgs, following RAW conversion - the RAW files are stored on external drives).

At the time Aperture was in version2 and Lightroom just freshly released version1, I have bought and tried both of them because I knew right from the beginning that that kind of application will be paramount for my photographic work and I wanted to be sure that I get the best program I could get. After a short while, I decided to stick with Lightroom and abandon Aperture. Main reason for me was that Lightroom was designed more logically, with clearer GUI and supported a workflow that suited me in every way. However, that was basedcompletelyon my personal preferences. Both programs basically do same things in similar ways, though, so Aperture may be a better choice for any number of people.

Besides Lightroom 2.7, I use Photoshop CS3 (yes, I know they are dinosaurs, but I will have to upgrade my computer first, which is 6-years-old PowerMac G5, working flawlessly all that time and I am heartbroken when I have to decide to scrap it). Nowadays, probably close to 95% of my editing is done in Lightroom. I use Photoshop only for compositing and whenever I need to get into layers, selections, masks, channels and that sort of things.

I do not have any use whatsover for iPhoto. When I need JPEGs for internet, I export them from Lightroom, keep them filed on my hard drive for a while and then I just delete them.

Great review, John.

Does the trial 30-day trial work with the 5D II? It is not real clear on the website, or at least I did not find it.

Thanks,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris White
    Does the trial 30-day trial work with the 5D II?

Yes, it does.

Nice topic. I like the side-by-side visual comparisons. It would be nice to see a variety of software programs like this done up - TOP 5.

I will have to give this software package a try now.

For anyone interested, DxO Optics Pro is currently on sale (through June 14th) for 33-40% off - $99 for the Standard version and $199 for the Elite version (same features, but the Elite license is required for use with 1-series and 5D/5DII bodies).
    <div></div>