Brief Overview of The Situation:

I'm currently photo documenting a group of touring Tibetan Monks for a week as they complete the "Sacred Mandala" at a local Art Museum. A week long process of buddhist sand art creation, where upon completion, they will ceremoniously destroy it. The teaching that "Nothing last forever", and that we should "embrace the process, with less emphasis on lingering on to the product". Correct me if I'm misinterpreting, but that was the gist I got from their explanation of this ceremony.

Photographing conditions:

Overall very dim room (I'm shooting crop sensor)

White High ceiling (at least 40ft '~12m") (Thus high ISO)

The monks work space is about 10ft "~3m" from the closest white wall.

Tibetan Monks are crouching down inches from the surface of the Mandala. (lots of shadows beneath them)

Many times, they work covering all 4 sides of the board. (can't bounce off the side walls)

I cannot get any closer than 5ft "~1.5m" from the edge of their working space. (not too high of a hurdle with 17-50mm and 70-200mm)

There's a lot of other observers walking around it so studio light style setup is a no no.

What I've tried so far:

- ISO2000 (CanonEOS7D) with Bounce Flash from the ceiling (YN560@Full) with built in flash bounce card. CPL to reduce the glare off the board.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/6283.11_2D00_14_2D00_10-Day-4-_2800_2_2900_.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/3632.11_2D00_14_2D00_10-Day-4-_2800_4_2900_.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/1321.11_2D00_14_2D00_10-Day-4-_2800_1_2900_.jpg[/img]

My Own Critique:

-When taking wide angle shots, the walls become overexposed due to the bounce card. However, without it, the monks become underexposed.

-When taking close up shots, often times it is difficult to expose their faces just right because they are crouched over so far. Lots of shadows beneath them.

-My general sense in composing the photos. It lacks that "pop" that makes one say "that's a GREAT image!".

What I Want To Achieve:

I still have time before they complete their Mandala, so I want to be able to create at least one captivating image.

Any technical advice as well as compositional advice is highly demanded []