Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Flow?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Work Flow?

Forgive me in advance if this is a subject already started somewhere, but when I tried to search for it the search was for some reason unavailable tonight.

What is your work flow?

How many people have spent large sums of hard earned money for software such as Photoshop CS* and don

Alan

Re: Work Flow?

tkerr, I also use Photoshop, so here's what I do.

I used to use Elements (still have version 5 and recently got 8). Now I use Photoshop exclusively. DPP never appealed to me, since it was limited.

I download images with Bridge and keep the files organized in folders, usually by date.

I do adjustments in Camera Raw (much of the initial workflow involves CR, since this is where one can do a lot, BEFORE opening an image into PS). I tell Bridge to open as 16 bit files.

Then, open files in PS (CS5), and depending on the image, do adjustment layers, masks, etc.

Run actions on the images (batch processing, in some cases), then save as either TIF or PSD, then "save as" to JPG. JPGs get printed or sent to family and friends.

I had Lightroom, but found that Adobe Camera RAW did everything I wanted, and the organization in Bridge is fine for me.

I consider Photoshop to be worth every penny.

I have a fairly simple workflow.

1) Transfer RAW files from the card to a folder on my hard drive.

2) Do initial adjustments, batching when I can, in DPP. Convert to JPEGs in a new folder.

3) For the images I want to further post process, I open the JPEGS in Photoshop and polish up from there.

Now, I realize I may lose some quality going from RAW to JPEG and then editing. However, in my opinion, it doesn

Well, I have never even opened the DPP application. Not because I got something against it - I just don't have any need for it. As I mentioned in another thread, I have had some use for Aperture, but then I switched to Lightroom - full time. Of course, I also use Photoshop for more complicated tasks, but Lightroom became my main tool.

Bridge used to always get in my way, so I stopped using it altogether. Again, Lightroom replaced its functionality for me. I know, they are not the same, but for my purpose, Lightroom does everything I want it to do.

I hear a lot that the DPP gives better results with Canon RAW files than Aperture, Lightroom or ACR. I refuse to believe it. In my view, it does not matter much which application you use for routine adjustments and corrections. It depends more on your way of using any given app. When I have a need for more than routine corrections, I go to Photoshop.

As for my path from camera to print (or Internet), it is not as strict and automated as many would approach that. I have a luxury of more unhurried approach.

I start with downloading photos from the memory card to my external hard drive - always using card reader (never directly from the camera). All my photos are in RAW format, so that simplifies things a bit. I have a system for archiving my original photos, where I place them within folders in a hierarchy based on this scheme: DIGITAL > CAMERA USED > YEAR > MONTH > DAY > EVENT. I have separate hierarchy for my old ANALOG scans (I am sure this is not perfect or ideal or even most logical scheme, but it works fine for me). Then, I fire up Lightroom and import photos from folders without copying them to the catalog. Instead, I ask Lightroom to make an extra copy to a location on another external hard drive IN DNG FORMAT (just to be safe, for the future).

Then comes a routine of rating and assigning keywords. Corrections and adjustments come next. If I need JPEGs for Internet or for commercial printing, I export them to a separate folder. JPEGs never even enter my Lightroom catalog (unless I get some 3rd party photos from my family or friends for correction). After specific use, I simply delete them. If I need to print, I do it from within Lightroom. If I need a slideshow or a web gallery, I also use Lightroom for that.

So what do I need Photoshop for? Selections, masks, layers, channels, compositing. Other than that, everything is done with Lightroom.

I have to admit, that I still use an old dyesub printer which prevents me from using any kind of custom profiling. I am about to get rid of it and buy an ink-jet. When I'll do that, I will be using Photoshop for printing - probably exclusively, because printing from Photoshop is more color-managed and precise than printing from Lightroom.

• Pop the card in
    • Run import preset in Lightroom
    • Rinse and repeat
    • Make rough metadata changes to dozens at a time (custom white balance, etc.)
    • Generate 1:1 previews
    • Go roast some coffee, mmm.
    • Cull the losers and separate the "wow!" from the "meh."
    • Fine tune in Lightroom.
    • If Adobe isn't cutting it, switch to DPP, RawTherapee, or RPP.

• <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />
      Final modifications in Photoshop
    • Send to print
    • Add keywords, ratings, etc.

Download from camera to LR, cull, make improvements (?) and then transfer to CS3 at 16 bits. If necessary a few more tweaks, crop and then save as jpeg.

I rarely to never use DPP.

I backup RAWs on my 2nd internal HD and then to 2 external HDs w/some of the WOW jpegs.

Firestarter; why do you "never directly download from the camera"? Maybe it is my imagination, but the pix seem to download faster camera to LR w/my setup.

Regards

Bill

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    • Go roast some coffee, mmm.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that one. That is DEFINITELY a part of my work flow! []

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter

Bridge used to always get in my way, so I stopped using it altogether. Again, Lightroom replaced its functionality for me. I know, they are not the same, but for my purpose, Lightroom does everything I want it to do.

I don't understand what you mean that Bridge always got in your way. For me it works seamlessly together with Camera RAW and Photoshop.

Now that I have Lightroom that is my primary, however, there are times when I go back to a picture and skip right to Photoshop. There I can directly access and utilize Bridge, or the Mini Bridge. I have the mini Bradged docked on the bottom of the Photoshop window. Browsing through file folders is easier than using the File / Open Command and using the Windows Expolorer window to find files. I can see the thumbnails, and can just slide the file right into Photoshop with the mouse, if it is a RAW file it will automatically open camera RAW.

Personally I have found both Bridge and Camera Raw to be valuable tools, even though I also have Lightroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter

I hear a lot that the DPP gives better results with Canon RAW files than Aperture, Lightroom or ACR. I refuse to believe it. In my view, it does not matter much which application you use for routine adjustments and corrections. It depends more on your way of using any given app. When I have a need for more than routine corrections, I go to Photoshop.

Ditto, I completely agree.

I have used DPP, after-all it is the software included with my Canon EOS DSLR. I compared side by side pictures and could see the differences when making simple adjustments such as Auto White Balance. Personally I prefer the results I get from Lightroom or Camera RAW.

Anyway, The reason I brought this topic up in the first place is because I now people who spent $699.00 on Photoshop and aren't even aware of the tools they have to create a simple organized work flow. Maybe this will help them.
    And I wanted to see what other people are doing as well and read their opinions on the different applications..

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I have a fairly simple workflow.

1) Transfer RAW files from the card to a folder on my hard drive.

2) Do initial adjustments, batching when I can, in DPP. Convert to JPEGs in a new folder.

3) For the images I want to further post process, I open the JPEGS in Photoshop and polish up from there.

Now, I realize I may lose some quality going from RAW to JPEG and then editing. However, in my opinion, it doesn't degrade the image enough to worry about.

Out of curiosity, What version of Photoshop are you using?.

1. I transfer using memory card reader raw files to folder on HD
    2. Get coffee while files are transfering
    3. Transfer camera jpg's to folder on HD
    4. Back it all up on two external HDs
    5. Format mem card for next shoot

I use PS elements 5. I downloaded ver. 6 for a trial. It had a few bugs so I have not upgraded since. I know I need to but not sure when I'll do it.
    1. I work with files in PSE. If the file needs color correction or exposure correction I use DPP on the raw file and convert to jpg. I have tried converting raw in PSE but DPP does a better job IMO.
    2. I sometimes use Portrait Professional for some facework. I can do it in PSE but PP is faster.

I would love to invest in PS but just can't chock down the price. I feel I'll get more bang for the buck from more glass.

I agree with Sean, I too <span class="field-item-description"]realize I may lose some quality going from RAW to JPEG and then editing but my prints look amazing and my customers keep comming back.

<span class="field-item-description"]Mark
    Mark