Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: parts found!Help find parts 4 Vivitar 285HV Zoom Thyristor please!

parts found!Help find parts 4 Vivitar 285HV Zoom Thyristor please!

Help needed to find replacement battery pack! now i know why this sold for 36$! its missing a crucial part! it does have a plugged pack,but that requires some sort of external battery pack! i have already ordered a wall plug,only because i thought it was what i needed!

Hello everyone, and thank you for reading my post. After a fair share of reading and personal debate, I have went ahead and purchased this highly recommended flash the Vivitar 285HV Zoom Thyristor. I purchased it of the infamous e-bay at a fair $36.00 USD deal., but now I need to know what in the heck will I do with it? I do know flash is an important factor, but since I am still "wet behind the ears", "green at the gills", "green thumbed",and other weird sayings. The point i am trying to make is despite having a lens with a large f/ value,the 35mm f/1.4 L, where should i start once it arrives? I aim to photograph every subject possible using the 35mm. I use this for personal use and not for anything that can be or ever will be sold,published,or whathave you, so the idea of making every shot a professional shot shouldn't be a concern. sure the best shot should be a concern always, but i want that mentioned for when advice is given the adviser does not need to be concerned. this is an open request, that should have many opinions, but again i am just trying to understand the use of flash to my advantage, but the search brings up many areas that require near expert fore knowledge! Thank you everyone, and sorry if i cause you to cringe with my drab post,and self loathing! : 0)' <<<<<This is supposed to be a happy face with my sized nose sticking his tongue out lol http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_BIN=1&LH_PrefLoc=1&LH_TitleDesc= 1&_trkparms=65%253A1%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1 &rt=nc&_nkw=vivitar+battery+holder&_st icky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_s c=1

Re: The highly admired Vivitar 285HV Zoom Thyristor is mine, now what?

A good place to start is: www.strobist.blogspot.com

Read through the "Lighting 101" section.

Also, Sean Setters has written some rather detailed posts in the past about various aspects of flash use.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Hello Mr. Ben, and thank you for the reply. I have been here, and I do recall the post as well, but for me, I need a dumb down version, er layman

My flash is here, and boy it is freaking significant in size! i was not expecting it to be this gigantic! now does anyone know how to charge this thing? apparently it doesnt have a charging cord! ugh back to the drawing board as they say.

Speaking from experience, going through David Hobby's Strobist 101 from the gears explanations is your surest and most comprehensive approach to learning off camera lighting.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

I was where you were this past April too. I had to re-read it dozens of times before I even knew what in the world he was talking about. But keep at it!! It will surely start making sense to you after some time.

Don't give up after your 4th or even your 10th time reading through his tutorials!! []

Quote Originally Posted by GarzaCapitalist

...does anyone know how to charge this thing? apparently it doesnt have a charging cord! ugh back to the drawing board as they say.

I have the vivitar285hv as well. It has a sliding door on its right hand side where there's a compartment to hold 4 AA batteries. I highly suggest getting rechargeable batteries since you can only get couple hundred shots at best out of them each time.

Good luck!!

apparently it doesnt have a charging cord! ugh back to the drawing board as they say.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

It uses 4 AA batteries. Yours looks like it has a power cord for an external battery. Here is a link to the manual.

I have replaced the foot on mine with a metal foot. As big as the flash is they are easy to break. You can find them at this website: http://michaelbass.blogspot.com/2007/01/plugs-jacks-cable-hardware-misc.html

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x550/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/1541.VivitarFoot-Web.jpg[/img]

Mark
    Mark

@ TakahiroW4047. You sir are a pure soul,and friend! I appreciate your time, and aide! I had a slight idea that.that may be an access point, but i couldn

only problem now,is that i cannot seem to fit the batteries in it! again

Yeah I had some trouble with that at first as well.

The compartment holds a battery holder where you first need to slide the battery into as specified by the label. Then you slide the unit back into the compartment. There's only one way to put it in. You have to rotate the one single square corner to the bottom right for it to even slide in. I would assume you got that far, but having problem closing the door? []

The spring can be pretty rigid so you have to push it in pretty hard and hold it as you slide the door close.

Dear clemmb, I consider you the non candied lifesaver! with TakahiroW4047

TakahiroW4047 i will post photo soon in about 20mins to show my progress, or is iit egress?