Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me what you think.

Tell me what you think.

These shots were taken outside my niece's senior prom. It was at a winery and parking was a hassle so there was a long walk. It was just before sunset, spring and I was doing my brother the,"You've got a big camera can you take some family shots?" deal. I was happy to do it, but had to come straight from work, made it there with five minutes to spare before she arrived in a big old shiny 57 Chev.

I trudged up the hill andtook a few shots with the little sister and realised the batteries for the 580 were back in the car. So no fill flash. If I could have kicked my own butt I would have.

Anyway, I have adjusted levels and tried some very basic tweaking, but I don't trust myself enough to try too much. I think the first one is soft and a little over-exposed.

I would appreciate C&C.

@40mm f2.8, 1/125sec ISO400

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/1273.IMG_5F00_4742_5F00_002.jpg[/img]

@34mm f2.8, 1/200sec ISO 400

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/5224.IMG_5F00_4706_5F00_001.jpg[/img]

Thanks for viewing, now bring it on.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Re: Tell me what you think.

I think both are solid shots. I am not a big fan of a dead-center composition, but I admit that in some cases that is not an issue.

One thing I would suggest to change is the color temperature. People always look better if their skin is warmer, even on a cloudy day (without overdoing it, of course - I am talking 50-100 degrees K). One exception is when they got a fresh sunburn. []

I see the first shot as the properly exposed one and the second little dark and too crisp. Women and children can stand a bit of softness in their images.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U
    batteries for the 580 were back in the car. So no fill flash. If I could have kicked my own butt I would have.

Yeah, it would have helped, but even better would have been a soft directional light of some sort, like a large foam core or reflecter -- but for that you often need an assistant, more prep-time, etc., so you did the best you could with what you had. Lighting that's not great, but good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U
    Thanks for viewing, now bring it on.

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    Overall great job.

On the first shot, the subject is nice and posing is good, but the smile isn't all the way there. The composition is nice, except for the branches growing out of her face and hair. It would probably be fine if they were a different color, but as it is the branches are too similar to her skin/hair color.

In the second shot, the facial expression is so much better. I don't think the posing works well with this full length composition, and the dress itself is a lot less of the subject here, so I think I would prefer a tighter shot of the faces for that pose. The background in this composition is a lot nicer because it's dark around the faces.

Keep up the good work!

Hi Steve -

I was looking at these real quick earlier today on flickr but I didn't get a chance to comment because I was at work. The first two things that hit me on the first one is #1 I really, really like the angle you took on this! IMO, great composition but yes, the tree has to go. I don't know if it would be possible to clone it out being so close to her face though.

I really like the second one also and the main thing that stands out on this one for me is how that you captured how much these 3 adore each other! If you can capture the feelings of people in a photo, the photo is a success!

Overall, nice work! [Y]

Denise

Steve, I am not a "people" photographer, so I don't have the skill or experience to properly critique these---but since you asked, I am going to give it a shot. So, any one else reading, feel free to critique my critique, or just plain disagree.

1. You had some really great looking subjects, and with that, it is hard to take a bad picture and I really like both of these.

2. Overall, I think the shots are a little to cool. If you could warm them up just a little would help.

3. The fence line is distracting, paint it out

4. I actually like the angle of the light, but see if you canbrighten up the faces and other skin parts just a little.

5. Nice color capture on on the clothing

6. Try and get rid of the tree branches growing out of your nieces head in the first shot.

Overall, I would be very proud of these pics; But, there are a couple of "little things" you can do to make them better. If your still not happy---They are family,and they are gorgeous, tradethem acheesburgerfor a little more time in front of the camera---bring batteries this time [:O]

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    The composition is nice, except for the branches growing out of her face and hair.

I told her to have a shave, or at least a trim, young people you just can't tell em' anything.

You make it sound very easyand what with the benefit of hindsight should be common sense.

Thanks Daniel, I'll do a bit of cropping.
    Steve U

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter
    . People always look better if their skin is warmer, even on a cloudy day (without overdoing it, of course - I am talking 50-100 degrees K).

Thanks Firestarter, I didn't touch temperature, I moved the color balance sliders around and reckon it looked worse when I finished.

I will have a play and repost.

Cheers.
    Steve U

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    If you can capture the feelings of people in a photo, the photo is a success!

Thanks Denise, kind words and very encouraging.

The whole composition thing sounds so obvious when all you guys tell me now, butI didn't think about it at the time. it didn't even reigister.

I'll carry on, but I think I'm getting to the stage I need to take a list.

Steve U

@Bob, thanks for the thought and effort of your reply Bob. All good suggestions, I need to take some of those extra sticks growing out of my niece's head and give myself a whipping with them.

Yeah I couldn't believe I left the batteries out.[*-)]

I'm was lucky there was nice light.

I'll have a go at warming it up a bit tonight.

Cheers.
    Steve U

What. No shots of here and the 57 Chev?

These look good to me. They would be much improved with a fill light or strobe to fill in the shadows and add catch lights to the eyes. Catch light really brighten up the face and make them come alive. If you have help you can use a white sheet. When using reflectors sometime causes squinting. I am not sure how to get around this with some folks.

Watching for things like limbs coming out of their head take lots of practice. Keep up the good work here.

Mark
    Mark