Thread: EF20-35 f/2.8L

EF20-35 f/2.8L

Hello all,

I am interested in purchasing a used EF20-35 f/2.8L and was wondering if anyone on the fourms has used or owns this lens, and what your thoughts are?

Thanks

Re: EF20-35 f/2.8L

Why this lens? How old is this lens - no longer made. -- Vs. 16 -35 or 17-40, etc.?

Hi Bob,

I have a 17-40 and I absolutely love it. I cannot afford the 16-35 at this time. I found a 20-35 used for about 450 dollars, and I like the physical size and the aperture. I am well aware of the newer lenses I am also sure that my 450 dollars could be spent in possibly a better place. I was just interested in hearing if anyone had one, and what their opinon may be.

I would prefer a newer design than old one since the technology travelsat thespeed of light . If I were in your situation I probably will keep my 17-40 and wait to get the 16-35L II sometime later. The 17-40L as I can see is a very nice lens but lack of a F2.8. I dont think it's worth it to trade the latest 17mm wide angle lens with something old, starting from 20mm but have a f2.8. It will also depend on which body you use, on 1.6x bodies 20mm is not that wide anyways.

I borrowed my friend's 16-35L and paired with my IIfor an comparison on B&W film during winter break. So far I have noticed clear corner sharpness improvement of the 16-35L II @ 16mm over the 1st generation. It's going to be more obviousif you use digital and pixel peeping. So my point is, lens will improve over generations, it's wise to save some money and buy the latest design, it will always be worth it.[]

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for your sound advice about saving money and getting the better lens. That's what I did with my purchase of the 17-40, and my 70-200, and I have never regretted that one bit. I love my 17-40! I use it constantly and get excellent results. My only limitation is the f/4.0, for example inside a dimly lit church where I can't use a flash and don't have a tripod. In the review on this site of the 16-35 II, I am so impressed by photos like:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Pictures/Picture.aspx?Picture=2007-04-07_18-31-50

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Pictures/Picture.aspx?Picture=2007-04-07_18-35-51

I have a friend who has a 16-35 II and the image quality is very good, plus the current USM motors are just perfect.

Thanks again,

Jim

You're welcome![]

I just thought of the 28/1.8 lens. I have not used it personally but it appears to be a very nice lens. Don't know which body you're using, on 1.6x it probably will not be wide anymore. But anyway, if you would accept prime and 28mm is right for you, this lens will be very nice to have to complement your 17-40 at a reasonable price. I personally found that I need flexibility the most at wide angles, that'sthe topreason why I chose to use zoom.

Surely the 24L or 35L are going to please, but they are expensive... The 35L is very high on my most wanted list, don't know if there is a new version coming up or not.

Ben

I like my 35L, very, very much.

If they want to improve a lens, and much as I like my 50L, I wouldn't mind a newer version that addressed the CA and softness wide open... I took some pictures of christmas lights and saw exactly what Bryan was talking about. I wouldn't give it up, now... but if it there was a better, newer version, and I could sell the old one and not take too much of a hit with the difference... []

Quote Originally Posted by unjx

I have a 17-40 and I absolutely love it. I cannot afford the 16-35 at this time. I found a 20-35 used for about 450 dollars, and I like the physical size and the aperture. I am well aware of the newer lenses I am also sure that my 450 dollars could be spent in possibly a better place. I was just interested in hearing if anyone had one, and what their opinon may be.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

You could sell the 17-40 for $550 and if you add the $450 you will have plenty for a used or refurbished 16-35/2.8L Mk I. I own a 16-35 Mk I, and it is amazing on my EOS 10D.

Johan,

That is very true. In the interest of saving money that would be a very good solution.

For now, I think I will just save up the money for 16-35 II or possibly a good prime like Colin's EF 35mm f/1.4L, or the new EF 24mm f/1.4L

The other possibility could be to get a wide prime and then get an EF24-70mm f/2.8L

Good problems to have

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses