Thread: Etiquette when changing lenses, different opinions??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Etiquette when changing lenses, different opinions??

Changing lenses with the camera body facing down

Re: Etiquette when changing lenses, different opinions??

I have not read all the posts but my routine is quite different than some and with due respect I think better. Trondsters routine seems quite tedius and I would not make a habit of putting my glass straight down where it could possibly be scratched. It also does not consider a lense hood, especially a petal type, as mine often has. Otherwise one which could be flimsly in holding up glass in addition to a camera.

Anyhow, my steps are typically as follows...

1) I get the new lense, loosen the lense cap fully without removing, and then place it facing upwards (cap at bottom) on a stable surface.

2) Next, I typically rest the camera in my lap (due to fluid nature of shooting) with lense facing upwards and loosen fully without removing. I continue to hold the lense at all times and am able to leave the strap on my neck/shoulder for camera security. NOTE:In thecase of aroutine lense change I would simplychoose to use a flat surface for this step.

3) I then raise the new lense with my free hand and immediately attach it to the camera. The old lense is only removed as the new lense is attached, therefore the camera, which is protected by the mirror anyhow, is never exposed for more than a millisecond.

4) I then immediately put the old lense into the cap, which is still resting on the surface, and secure it.

The last two steps can be done in a matter of seconds and both lenses are always held upwards, thus the mount downward, which would be preferable for dust control. The camera is never exposed for more than a fraction of a second and is protected by the mirror anyhow.

If no surface is available and I make the change on my person a few things will change. I will put the new lense between my legs with the cap facing upward (glass facing downward, in sitting position) and loosen cap. I will then remove the old lense and immediately put the cap on it and secure it. I will then place the new lense on the camera. This can be done in a standing position as well. The camera and new lense is exposed a little longer but with practice all can be done in a matter of seconds.

I've never had an issue with dust control and is quite minimal on my 30d, considering I may take thousands of shots at an event with multiple lense changes. Anyhow, it works for me.

God Bless