Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos of My Granddaughter - C&C Please!

Re: Photos of My Granddaughter - C&C Please!

Great shots! I have to say the last one is my favourite because the lighting is good and she

Nice shots, Denise!

I would say that the first 3 are my favorites. The last two, in my opinion, do not have the nice impact that your first 3 have. You may have benefited from a little more light on her face in the last one. The composition of the 3rd shot is excellent, well done! I also like her expression in that one (and the direction she

Quote Originally Posted by BogdanD
    The shadows under the chin (in the third picture) and just above the eyes (in the fourth picture) are throwing me off a little, but I'm just nitpicky that way.

Thank you for being nipicky! I truly appreciate honest critiques and to be honest I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it. I have a problem eliminating shadows still but I'm working on it! I think I'm going to have to wait until she is alittle older to have more patience with me getting the lighting just right. In the meantime, it's back to my youngest daughter to practice on!

Thanks much!

Denise

I applaud those that work photographing toddlers on a regular basis! It is quite the challenge! Once she realized she had choices, look at grandma or NOT, she chose NOT just because she knew I wanted her to look at me! Also, the time frame you have in keeping their attention and interest in being photographed is very, very short!

Hello Denise,

I like the first and the last and they are absolutely adorable pictures. The eyes and expression in the last one are pricelessly fantastic and by far my favorite. The color and/or lighting also look best to me compared to the others. I do not care for the fourth photo, sorry. The single image as you like the best is good as well. I cannot put my finger on it but maybe needs softening, especially cheeks? Also, I am not sure how close you were in that shot but be careful not to get too close as the face can become slightly distorted. Like they do with newborns at hospitals. It just seems that is occuring somewhat in that picture but I could be wrong?

Take care, Ralph

Hi Ralph -

I am going to try softening them today when I have more time, that does seem to be the consensus here that it is something I should do to them. Also, yes I think I tend to get too close when using the 35mm just because I can and I try to fill the frame.

I have others that I took of her, I

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

I am babysitting my granddaughter for a few hours this afternoon and took a few quick photos (of course)! She is not one to sit still for too long so I did not bother setting up lights on stands or backgrounds or anything like that. I am using a 580ex II on camera.

Here's a few of what I was able to take so far. Am I on the right track at all? Does the lighting look ok?? It seems alittle "washed out" to me. I changed the setting in post processing to Canon's "Studio" setting which is the first time I used it.

She'll be here for a few hours yet and I am hoping to have at least one printed before my daughter picks her up. Well, gotta go ...I don't get to see her too often since she lives out of town. I'll check back in a bit ...I'm off to watch Shark Tail!

Nice little granddaughter you've got there! She must be just a bit younger than my daughter.

Now, I'm no pro, but I really like the photos! Perhaps her clothes are a bit distracting, something more plain would be better, and for this kind of picture I personally prefer the head not to be cut off at the top...

Since you mention the backgrounds and lighting, the background doesn't distract me, and for me the lighting looks remarkably good for an on-camera flash!

Btw, when I want to take some pictures of my daughter, I always ask her whether she wants to participate, even a year ago at age 3. If she wants to pose for a few shots, she often takes some gadget or toy, and if I agree to take some photos of the toy, and her with the toy (in front of the face), then we can always squeeze some "serious" shots in, too.

Ciao, Colin

Hi Denise,

I like the 2nd, 5th, and6th the best. Your little Model looks adorable. I think the lighting looks wonderful. I like her hair and wardrobe as well. I also like the playfulness of the poses. I think filling the frame is nice, but be careful about shooting too tightly. I would also try to avoid perfect centering in the frame if possible, however I don't do portraits, so I'm not sure if this is standard or not.

The last tip is for your little super model. I know she is young, but see if you could teach her to connect with the camera and look right through the lens without squinting, and into your eyes, just like the camera wasn't even there. I think she is looking up too much, I'm not sure if someone was distracting her behind you, if so, then have that person get lower. If you want some posed candids then have her look straight out slightly to the left or right instead of upwards, as I feel that looks more natural, but that's just my opinion. I like #5 the best, because her eyes are looking through the lens and connecting with the viewer. I think #6 is the prettiest though.

Rich

Edited due to my numbering error.

Hi Rich -

Thank you for your comments! You are so right about the eye contact. We are getting the poses down and she comes up with most of them all on her own but the eye contact needs work! She knows where I

Of course, I understand. You may also want to try a tripod with a remote cord, so you won