Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Squirrel shots

Re: Post your best Squirrel shots

Here's one at Crested Butte...

Rebel XT, 24-105mm f/4L @ 105mm, f/4, 1/800s, ISO 100

[IMG][View:http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/deltasun/Random/IMG_0296L.jpg][/IMG]

I caught this guy in my neighbors backyard while it was raining.

Taken with; XTi, Minolta 600mm f/6.3 MD manual focus.

Bare 600mm.

With 2X extender.

Cheers,

John.

I know I have another one somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer

Oh and one more from this past August:

Columbian ground squirrel, Sunshine Meadows, Banff

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/1565._5F00_M3_5F00_2205.JPG[/img]

That is far too cool. Hopefully he didn't make a jump for you shortly after this shot!

These are some really cool pictures, how do you manage to "shoot" a squirrel? Sit in the forest for hours ready to press the shutter? I

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500
    how do you manage to "shoot" a squirrel? Sit in the forest for hours ready to press the shutter? I've never come anywhere close enough to a squirrel for a photo

Perhaps they're just not as common, or tame in your area. City squirrels are much more likely to keep their distance, however I remember going to a park in Toronto where the squirrels would come up and take nuts from your hand. In the forest trails around Ottawa, you often find them only 3-6 feet away, and some will come within 1-2 feet with food being offered. All my shots are with 85mm or 24-105mm, so your 70-200mm should be long enough to get some good shots, even on a non-crop camera.

What I remember of my shots...

The chipmunk was fairly close, maybe 2-3 feet away. He eventually came to within inches of my shoes.
    RedMunch was on a branch next a trail. I was 3-4 feet from him.
    RedMunch2 was at the beginning of a boardwalk where we feed ducks, along a trail in the woods. The ducks, chickadees, nuthatches, and squirrels are all up for a free lunch here. These guys were probably around 3 feet away as well.
    RedSurprised was less than 2 feet away. I don't think he expected to run into my wife, who tooks that shot.
    RedFemale - I'm not sure of the distance. My wife shot that one too, and I wasn't there.
    BlackPole - Several squirrels, chickadees, and chimpmunks visit this lookout point over on old sand quarry turned into a dog park. He was maybe 3-4 feet away.
    BlackOaties - Three squirrels were hungry enough to come close for some of my daughter's cereal snack. One was brave enough to come within a foot or two from us. Again, my wife was the photographer on this one.
    BlackWatchingTogether - Not particularly close. Squirrels on common city pathways are more skittish, likely due to kids chasing them, throwing things at them, etc. Still, they're not particularly terrified either. I think my wife took this one too.

On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Colin,

Squirrel days start one of two ways for me:

1. I
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Thanks David and dsiegel, I suppose I

Colin,

My two squirrels were fairly close both times. The black one runs along our fence to get to the trees in neighbors yards. The trees are small since it is a fairly new development so they don't get far from sight. This was the first black squirrel I have seen. They only have the brown squirrels where I am originally from. The brown squirrel is from a park where they are curious, but stay far enough back. I was sitting in a car when I got that shot. As said before, you don't really go out to shoot squirrels, you usually are shooting something else and they just happen to get close.

Thanks Jayson. I actually got a prize for that photo, in the Sunshine Meadows photo contest. I was feeling mighty proud, until I found out that there were only 8 entries! (And two of them were mine). This guy was chirping quite excitedly, so all I had to do was aim and fire off a long burst. Sure enough, one of them got him in mid-chirp.