Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which L Lens?

Which L Lens?

<span>I&rsquo;m a college photographer, who is looking to invest in some high-quality lenses. While I shoot various things - people, landscapes, ect. - I spend most of my time photography collegiate sporting events.

<span>I am curious to hear your thoughts about the following lenses I&rsquo;m contemplating purchasing...

<span>- Canon 16-35 mm f/2.8 L II USM

<span>- Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8 L USM

<span>- Canon 180 mm f/3.5 L USM

<span>

<span>I currently have:

<span>- Canon 50D

<span>- Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8 IS

<span>- Canon 28-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

<span>Canon Extender EF 2x II

<span>

<span>Any thoughts?

Re: Which L Lens?

What kind of sports? indoor or not?

Anyway, you've got 70-200mm f/2.8 IS, so it sounds like what you need now is some fast prime.

<span>Currently, I&rsquo;m primarily shooting basketball and other indoor sports. When Spring comes along, I&rsquo;ll be shooting outdoor sports - soccer, track, tennis, golf.

he's right. get yourself a fast prime.

no canon photographer should be without the 50mm f/1.4. you will get more bang for your buck than with any other lens. it's the bread-and-butter of the EF lineup, and once you experience the amazing bokeh it provides, you'll be so addicted that you'll want to carry the thing with you everywhere. taking a good portrait with the 50 is like shooting fish in a barrel. with a gun, that is.

from there.. out of the lenses you listed.. i'd put my money on the 16-35mm.. you need a wide-angle in your lineup, and since you're using a crop sensor, the 28-135 doesn't count. wide angle lenses are fun.. try leaving yourself zoomed all the way out, and get right up close on your subjects.. it will give you a whole new perspective, and can sometimes yield a very edgy look.

He said he was shooting sports, I don't see how a wide angle will help. He need more on the tele-end, not the wide end.

that's true.. i guess i was thinking more general purpose with the other things he listed..

really.. all of those would be too slow for sports. i'd say get the 70-200 f/2.8 with or without IS depending on how much $$ you wanna spend. the IS won't help you in a ball game where your subject motion is fast.

correction-- the 24-70 would be fine, but still short for sports

He also said he own a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS already - read again.

Thanks for all your advice. I really appreciate it. Any additional thoughts?

For outdoor sports with big fields (soccer) you may want to consider the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L. It's range is unbeatable. Like many other posters said, I would consider a fast prime as well you back up your 70-200 f/2.8 for indoor sports. You can pick up the 50 /1.4 for about $350. It's L counterpart is well over $1,000.