Thread: C&C Bodyscape

C&C Bodyscape

Hi All,

here's one of my first attempts at "this style" of photography, and for that I'm quite happy with the results, but I'm sure there's a lot that can be improved. Apart from imrpoving the actual shot, I'm also wondering what post-processing would be "usually" applied to such an image to make it look more "professional"?

Thanks, Colin

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/0841.IMG_5F00_5013.jpg[/img]

Canon EOS 5D mark II
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

ISO 100, f/8, 1/200 sec

Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it w/reflector and 30 degree grid

B/W conversion and some small tweaks in Aperture 3

Re: C&C Bodyscape

Hi, Colin.

I don

This is a very interesting C&C. I agree that lighting technique is only half of the image. I often times have subjects whom get rigid initially in front of the camera, and majority of the time I try to catch them "off-guard" in between conversations to get more "curve" out of their posing.

I personally like the contour and depth of the skin created by the shadows in the shoulder blades and mid back. But in this case I wished there were more curves in the outline of the body, filling up more of the frame. The lighting would need to be slightly adjusted. But lets say that you were currently doing this shoot, how about having her (i'm assuming) maintain the position and direction of her hip, twist her upper body to the right and dropping her right shoulder a bit so it's within the upper right frame.

I think it would create an interesting body outline from the upper right - mid left - and to the bottom mid frame. Hopefully the lighting can be adjusted to still give that shadow and skin tone. How does that sound to you guys?? *Testing my own compositional and posing skills here as well []

Looks like fine art to me. Well done sir (or ma

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter

I don't think you should pursue any pre-made, "cookie-cutter" professional recipes to apply to your attempts on artistic photography of any kind or style. After all, what makes one's photography stand out is their individual style - something completely opposite to "professional" recipes.

I fully agree, however when I start something completely new I like to imitate in order to understand how it works, then I'll go off and play with my own ideas. In this case it was mainly the lighting that I wanted to recreate as I had seen in other people's photos...

Well, now to the critique, which is always difficult if you don't want to offend the creator but you do want to let them know your true opinion.

That's ok, personally, posting something in C&C it means "it's a good start, something needs to be improved, but I'm not quite sure what and how", and I'm not only expecting positive critique.

So, I think the basic concept of a low-key shot is executed properly. Technically speaking, I couldn't argue with any methods of lighting or camera/lens settings you have used.

The composition is not the most fortunate. You break several rules without proving that you even wanted to break them. More likely, you just weren't sure how to apply them. For instance: too much negative space on one side, model "crowded" into the edge of the frame, part of her head cut off. All those elements CAN be sometimes working for the benefit of general composition, but they don't in this case.

What I don't quite like is the awkward pose of your model. The hunkered shape of her back is somewhat unnatural and uneasy. I presume your model is female, but almost just as well could be male. You don't have to show genitals in order for a viewer to make that distinction. The general shape of human body is very different for each gender. But it is difficult to believe, judging on the basis of this photograph.

To sum it up very quickly, I think you did quite good job technically, but should work on understanding composition and posing. Do not shy away from applying good and proven rules of composition until you get comfortable with them. Only then you can start thinking of bending and breaking them.

Well, I hope this was not sounding too offending? After all, if you want to learn something from our opinions, negative critique is MUCH more valuable than a pat on a shoulder.

Thanks, next time I'll leave the light aline, and concentrate more on posing and composition. It seems to show that I got hooked up on the lighting a bit too much ;-)

Regards, Colin

Quote Originally Posted by erno james

Looks like fine art to me. Well done sir (or ma'am).

Thanks, glad you like it!

And, to clear up any confusion, I'm the sir, the model's a ma'am ;-)

Ciao, Colin

Quote Originally Posted by TakahiroW4047

This is a very interesting C&C. I agree that lighting technique is only half of the image. I often times have subjects whom get rigid initially in front of the camera, and majority of the time I try to catch them "off-guard" in between conversations to get more "curve" out of their posing.

I personally like the contour and depth of the skin created by the shadows in the shoulder blades and mid back. But in this case I wished there were more curves in the outline of the body, filling up more of the frame. The lighting would need to be slightly adjusted. But lets say that you were currently doing this shoot, how about having her (i'm assuming) maintain the position and direction of her hip, twist her upper body to the right and dropping her right shoulder a bit so it's within the upper right frame.

I think it would create an interesting body outline from the upper right - mid left - and to the bottom mid frame. Hopefully the lighting can be adjusted to still give that shadow and skin tone. How does that sound to you guys?? *Testing my own compositional and posing skills here as well [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

Thanks, that's a very concrete suggestion that I'll try at the next opportunity...

Perhaps I should mention that I got the two Elinchroms only a week ago, and it's the first time I've got a non-camera-built-in flash, so I'm still a bit in "discovery" mode with all the new gear ;-)

Ciao, Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500

Perhaps I should mention that I got the two Elinchroms only a week ago, and it's the first time I've got a non-camera-built-in flash, so I'm still a bit in "discovery" mode with all the new gear ;-)

Looks like you're off to a great start!

I remember when I first got my strobes and had my first shoot, for the life of me couldn't figure out how to control light spill with a shoot through umbrella (obviously impossible haha). You're way farther than where I was 2 weeks in []

Quote Originally Posted by TakahiroW4047

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500

Looks like you're off to a great start!

I remember when I first got my strobes and had my first shoot, for the life of me couldn't figure out how to control light spill with a shoot through umbrella (obviously impossible haha). You're way farther than where I was 2 weeks in [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

Well, it's a heck of a lot easier for me to control light spill with a honeycomb that's stuck on to the reflector!

I can thank the foresight of getting more than just the umbrellas ;-)

Ciao ciao, Colin