Thread: 10 Stop Neutral Density Photography, the cheap alternative.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 10 Stop Neutral Density Photography, the cheap alternative.

If you took a B&W of a waterfall amongst verdant green foliage would you get a nice very smooth and bright waterfall AND bright foliage?

Wondering about creative use of the green tint...

Paul.

Almost anything is possible with Photoshop. You could just shoot it in color, convert it to B&W and use the history brush on the foliage.

However you wouldn't technically be able to call it an "alternative" to a "real" ND filter would you.

Technically, by definition Yes it can be called an alternative. " Substitute, Different, other, choice between two or more things = Alternative" [] [H]

Anyway I think it could really make up some creative shots. When I started thinking about it: could the window tinting foil that is used in car-tuning work as such an ND filter as well? You could apply it onto a cheap filter and so make your own ND filter which can be easily mounted and unmounted.

Hmmm,[^o)] I don't know how well that would work because the way you are applying the window tint so that it will adhere to the glass. But then why would you need to apply it to anything?

In amateur astronomy we use a Mylar film as a white light filter to observe or image sun spots; It's not applied to any kind of glass. Some people buy or make holders of some kind, while others just wrap it around the end of the lens and hold it in place with a rubber band.

Just to clarify, I

I went to the beach today hoping to see some wave action and test out this welders mask filter. But when I got there the seas were relatively calm with small 1 to 3 foot, long interval waves. I should also have gone earlier in the morning or waited until later this afternoon when the Sun isn't so high and bright.

Anyways, this is what I got. 60 seconds, ISO 100, f/16