Thread: "99 Portraits" project - any suggestions?

"99 Portraits" project - any suggestions?

My goal with the "99 Portraits" project is to reinvent myself as a portrait photographer. Gradually moving away from the "glamour-ish" style where I'm framing tight and using skin-softening and blemish-removal, I want to go the opposite. I want to make wider, "environmental portraits" where the level of detail is extremely high, and the image tells something about the person. This could be what they like to do for a hobby, what their profession is, or just something that suites the personality of the subject. The photos will be framed wider, will be clearer and more colorful (maybe the occasional b&w or sepia though), and have an amazing level of detail than ANY other photos I've shot before. All photos will be taken using careful lighting setups, and edited to perfection. With 99 Portraits, my goal is to take a portrait a day. This is rather unrealistic, so if you figure there are about 30 days to a month, and that would take just over 3 months.. I'm going to give myself 4 months to complete this project. All subjects will be given model-releases, and most of these photos will be for free. My hope is that those subjects who are impressed with their photo will refer me even just ONE client. At about $100 a client (my price would probably be almost double that, but I'm thinking worst-case-scenario), those 99 referrals would generate about $9,900 (for portrait work ONLY!). I will start with the lenses and camera bodies I have, and hope that the business I generate will allow me to upgrade eventually to a full-frame body.

Does anyone have any comments (positive or negative) for this line-of-thought and any ways I could improve the photography I'm trying to go for here, or perhaps streamline my plan? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

- Jordan

www.freshphotography.us

Re: "99 Portraits" project - any suggestions?

You have quite lofty aspirations! First off, how are you going to find 99 people to shoot?!?!?

Good luck :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson
    You have quite lofty aspirations!

Yep, I also absolutely love the idea![Y] Great motivation and I wish you good luck [] Other than that I'm not into that world of photography so I can't give you proper advice.

Good luck! [Y]

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan

www.freshphotography.us

I don't know what's up with your site, but it is slowwww [:S] I'm using 30Mb/s cable so that shouldn't be the problem..

Two people wished you good luck, I

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan

Does anyone have any comments (positive or negative) for this line-of-thought and any ways I could improve the photography I'm trying to go for here, or perhaps streamline my plan? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Jordan, Personaly, I think it's a great idea. I know that myimages improved a noticably when I focused on one type of photography or even one subject and I really enjoyed doing it. My guess is that your portrait skills will improve markedly and you'll have fun with this project as well. I havetwo suggestions for you:

1. Find one or two models that you can work with and experiment with on a frequent basis; perhaps a friend or family member--once your happy with your technique and results, then go for your 99.

2. I didn't see any umbrellas, softboxes, light stands or triggers on your equipment list, nor did I see a notable "portrait lens" on your list. You may want to consider some of these items before you commit to your 99. Don't get me wrong, you have a very nice kit, and can easily do portraits with what you have, but once you get involved in this project, you may find yourself in need of additional equipment.

Finally, Keep us updated, show us your progress. I am not a portrait photographer, but there are some on this site that are and theycan be very helpful in providing ideas, tips and technique info.

Good luck,

Bob

Bob