Thread: JV Football 7D: 300mm f/2.8L IS C&C

JV Football 7D: 300mm f/2.8L IS C&C

I thought I would post some JV Football with the 300mm lens, as opposed to the 70-200mm Varsity football that I posted last time. It certainly gives a different perspective, with a more blurred background and with less distraction of the players on the sideline, partially due to the 300mm lens at f/2.8 and partially due to the positioning on the field. With the 300mm you get to shoot downfield and upfield more, as opposed to cross field.

7D: 300mm f/2.8L IS, Monopod, Knee Position, Very minimal PP on a a couple of them.

f/2.8, 1/1000sec, ISO 100

f/2.8, 1/1600sec, ISO 100

f/2.8, 1/1000sec, ISO 100

f/2.8, 1/2500sec, ISO 200

f/2.8, 1/1250sec, ISO 100

f/2.8, 1/1600sec, ISO 100 Oops, a dropped punt return!

Thanks for viewing!

C&C always welcome!

Rich

Re: JV Football 7D: 300mm f/2.8L IS C&C

Nice shots, Rich. [Y]

I know from experience that football can be a very challenging sport to photograph - I think you have some great captures here. You have GOT to love that 7D/300L combo. It doesn't get much better than that (okay, maybe it does - 1D Mark IV and the 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM... But...[])

Here are some of my thoughts, and take them as a grain of salt:
    • I really like the overall techical quality of the shots. They all look properly exposed and sharp on my screen. My screen tends to really kill image contrast, so I can't comment on that.
    • Composition is good overall, but I think some shots (most notably #2 and possibly #5) look like they should have been shot in portrait orientation. You can always crop it to that frame size. I personally think some of them will look better in portrait orientation.
    • One thing that is sort of bugging me (I'm not sure if you have cropped these) is the ocassional cutting-off of the players' feet in the frame. I have faced this problem countless times myself.
    • And last, but certainly not least - You captured the action of the game nicely. I really feel the action and suspense of the game by looking at these images. They're nice.

I hope that I have provided you with some useful feedback. Once again, great shots! []

- Alex

These are some awesome shots! The sharpness is amazing!

If you get a chance, could you post a link to your first set, I know I looked at them before but wanted to again and compare but I can

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Niedra
    • Composition is good overall, but I think some shots (most notably #2 and possibly #5) look like they should have been shot in portrait orientation. You can always crop it to that frame size. I personally think some of them will look better in portrait orientation.
    • One thing that is sort of bugging me (I'm not sure if you have cropped these) is the ocassional cutting-off of the players' feet in the frame. I have faced this problem countless times myself
    • - Alex

Thanks Alex,

Excellent points!

I agree with you #2's feet are chopped off. I'll post another shot from this sequence without the feet being chopped off. I would never crop out feet on purpose (good catch) that was in the original, as matter of fact I try to avoid cropping at all, if possible. If cropping is necessary, then a big no-no is to crop at a persons joint, like a foot, knee, ankle or elbow. If anyone has to crop out part of a limb, then don't do it at a joint, it just looks too weird. Unfortunately, sometimes in sports, especially in football, parts of limbs get cut out of the frame, whether intentional or not.

I'll post another image similar to #5, but a different frame in the burst. I will also crop it to portrait mode like you had suggested.

Let me know what you think.

Different image of #2 sequence, cropped in portrait

#5 portrait

#5 sequence, different image in portrait.

Here's a couple more!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

These are some awesome shots! The sharpness is amazing!

If you get a chance, could you post a link to your first set, I know I looked at them before but wanted to again and compare but I can't find it and my search doesn't work for me.

Thanks,

Denise

Thanks Denise, your comments are greatly appreciated. The weather was also really great that day, which certainly helps!

If anyone else is interested in comparing the 7D: 300mm f/2.8L IS with the 7D: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II then the link is below:

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/image_presentation1/f/14/p/5008/43142.aspx?PageIndex=1

If it doesn't work then the pictures could be viewed on my Flickr page, by clicking on any of my photos.

Rich

wonderful shots!

I definitely like the fourth one most. The combination of the speed(with the splashing mud) and the facial expression of player number 6 is awesome. Good job![Y]

Hi Rich,

Great shots once again. I actually like this set better than the previous. I have been trying to figure out why and I think these had better DOF which is really bluring the background and making the players "pop" and the 300 mm seems to bring you closer to the action.

Overall, my favorite(s) are either of the receiver missing the pass with the ball bouncing off his feet/ground. Although #4 from the first set is great too. Great captures.

Thanks for sharing.

Brant

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate your feedback!

Brant, you

Nice updates, Richard!

I really like the "new" #2 - Awesome!