Thread: C&C Splash Capture

C&C Splash Capture

I tried capturing some water splashes this evening for the first time. Shot with XSi in manual mode @ 1/250 with 50mm. The first two were @ f14, the last two @ f20. 430 EXII w/ softbox above left. Slave above right. #4 I added a blue background light and dropped some vinegar with red food coloring. Images are straight out of the camera other than converting to JPG from RAW. Any thoughts?

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x533/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/1464.Splash2.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x533/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/5707.Splash1.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x533/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/4278.Splash3.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x533/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/2867.Splash4.JPG[/img]

Re: C&C Splash Capture

I'd suggest reading through this for tips. ;-)

As splash captures and not just water drops the first two look pretty good. I would however have filled the bowl of water completely so you

As tkerr mentioned, I would have preferred the results if the bowls had been filled. As it is now, it is hard for me to appreciate the subject (water) because of the distraction (bowl).

With these types of photos, I often prefer the colored effects you tried in your last photo. The composition, bowl, and low exposure take away some from the effects you added.

I have never attempted this type of photography, these are just my uneducated, inexperienced opinions.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Braden

Get in really close or cop tight, it will have a huge effect on composition