Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of my website?

What do you think of my website?

Hi All -

I've been putting together a new website the last couple days. Let me know what you think of my layout, colors, etc. There are still a few kinks that I am trying to get worked out.

I know the photos need ALOT of work but this is mostly put together for distant relatives, a few friends and coworkers, nothing extremely professional.

The site and my photography skills are still a work in progress!!

Thanks for looking!

http://dtrociophotography.com

Denise

Re: What do you think of my website?

High Denise, The site looks really good as do the photos. I do have one suggestion---on the opening slideshow, the framing of the photosdo not adjust for photos with different aspect ratio's ----If you only use photos of the same aspect ratio, say 2x3 or 4x6, in the slide show, they will all be framed correctly. If you need to crop a shot for display on your web site, just crop it at the 2x3 or 4x6 ratio.

Another suggestion that will make your worklfow easier if your using Lightroom 3

There is a plugin for light room on the zenfolio site---get it and use it to upload to zenfolio, That way, when you update titles, keywords, etc in lightroom---they are retained from lightroom to your website, it also keeps you from having toexport your edited photographs to a different location--then uploading to zenfolio-----oh, its also free.

You did a very nice job on this website.

Bob

Bob

Denise,

I like the website. Great shots too! My wife and I use zenfolio also and have been quite pleased so far.

I also noticed that you are in SE Wisconsin. We lived in Racine from 1993 thru 1996....but we moved back home to Cincy. We were both working for SC Johnson there.

I can see how the lakefront would offer lotsa photo ops.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi,

first impressions after 60 seconds:

- Makes a good first impression, with one exception:

- Please remove the automatically playing music, that

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    -If you only use photos of the same aspect ratio, say 2x3 or 4x6, in the slide show, they will all be framed correctly. If you need to crop a shot for display on your web site, just crop it at the 2x3 or 4x6 ratio.

Hi Bob -

I did quite the hatchet job on some of the cropping. I am going to go and try and find the raw files and replace them. In the meantime, I am pretty tapped out when it comes to spending more $ on post processing programs right now but I think Lightroom would definitely be beneficial in the future.

Thanks for looking and for the learning experience I had when you were putting yours together!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by weclickyoupick.com

I like the website. Great shots too! My wife and I use zenfolio also and have been quite pleased so far.

I also noticed that you are in SE Wisconsin. We lived in Racine from 1993 thru 1996....but we moved back home to Cincy. We were both working for SC Johnson there.

Hi Jeff -

Thanks for the compliments! [] It is still in the early stages and I have a few things to work out but it's coming along. I still haven't been able to get the .zenfolio from defaulting in the address.

So for 3 years we were neighbors since I live in Kenosha. Lots has changed here in the last 10 yrs.!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500

- Makes a good first impression, with one exception:

- Please remove the automatically playing music, that's never a good idea on a website.

- On the iPad there's a layout error, the main menu in the upper right goes beyond the right border (if you like I'll send you a screenshot).

- The fact that some pictures in the slideshow on the first page leave black space within the orange border line looks a bit strange.

- On the gallery pages with the thumbnails, hovering over an image reveals a "select" in the bottom left corner, and an orange square in the upper right corner; the latter does not seem to serve any purpose and should be removed so as not to let the user wonder about its meaning.

Hi Colin -

Thanks for taking a quick look at the site. I like that the music only plays on the first page at least. I like it for now but I'm sure I'll grow tired of it soon and it will go away. I don't know what is up with your error on your IPAD nor how to fix it. I will have to take a closer look at the layout I chose. I did take out the inner border line so it doesn't look quite so strange but will be finding the raw files and undo the cropping of the ones that I can find. As far as the thumbnails, I can't figure that one out yet either. You are right the orange button serves no purpose but it just came with the selected template. I will see if I can change the color to black so it is not visible.

Thanks Much!!!

Denise

Denise,

The fact that some pictures in the slideshow on the first page leave black space within the orange border line looks a bit strange

-----Standardizing the aspect ratio will fix this.

On the gallery pages with the thumbnails, hovering over an image reveals a "select" in the bottom left corner, and an orange square in the upper right corner; the latter does not seem to serve any purpose and should be removed so as not to let the user wonder about its meaning.

This is an indicator that exif info is available--whet you select the photo, you will notice a larger orange square in the upper right corner--if you hover over this, it will reveal available exif data for that photo.

to get rid of it do the following:

1. go to edit visitor view

2. select galleries, select a gallery, select a photo--any will do

3. on the top tab, select "photo page"

4 select page options

5. then select Photo overlay

6then select "hide" for the "full exif over the image"

bada bing---all gone, no more orange dot.

Also, Sorry about the Light Room suggestion, I thought you were using that for PP.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Bob

Thank you, Bob!

I did remove the exif data from showing but the orange dot is still there.

Also, no problem with the Lightroom suggestion. It is on my "long" list of things to get hopefully early next spring. To many other things going on at the moment and I shouldn

I bookmarked it and I am looking forward to visiting it in the future!