Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40D vs 7D

40D vs 7D

What would be the advantages of upgrading from the Canon 40D to the 7D?

Would the pictures be any sharper or better because of the 18 MB?

I notice on my 40D that when I shoot in rapid sequence that the exposure of all the pictures are not the same. They very approximately a half a stop. During processing the data shows the variance in the exposure although the pictures were taken within a few seconds of each other. Would the 7D correct this?

any opinions would be appreciated

George

Re: 40D vs 7D

Welcome to the forum George,

I do not have a 7D, but I can tell you that it has many improvements over the 40D. The 7D has a much better AF system as well as lower noise at higher ISO settings. If you are looking to upgrade in a 1.6 crop body you will not regret getting the 7D. I cannot speak to the exposure issue, but I am sure many 7D owners will reply and be able to answer it for you.

If I were currently looking to replace my 50D in an APS-C sensor body, I would go with the 7D.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by George Jogtich

For small prints not much, for medium to large printsyes.

notice on my 40D that when I shoot in rapid sequence that the exposure of all the pictures are not the same. They very approximately a half a stop. During processing the data shows the variance in the exposure although the pictures were taken within a few seconds of each other.

It sounds like you are using some sort of priority or automatic mode were the metering is selecting your exposure, if your framing is changing between exposures then it's nothing unusual. If it's in manual mode then that is indeed interesting because the shooting data is showing you the diferenceexposure between shots when you didn't do anything. Could be a firmware glitch.

The 7D is better in everyway compared to the 40D; noise, resolution, FPS, AF, weather sealing, 100% viewfinder, videos, built in level, ect.

If your shooting style does not require speed and you have not invested in EF-s glass the 5D II is an excelent body also and would be better landscapes, portriats (actually the 5D II excels at potriats), still life. Anything thats not moving fast, heck there are people here that are using if for sports but a 1Ds,1D or 7Dwould be much better for that.

John.

What would be the advantages of upgrading from the Canon 40D to the 7D?

Low light performance, autofocus, frame rate, video, resolution.

Yes, as long as you avoid factors that cause diminishing returns, such as motion blur and missed focus. For example, if you use a tripod and focus with liveview, you can be certain to get the the full expected benefit (34% more linear resolution). But if you get a lot of blur from camera shake and miss critical focus, the resolution will not be any better than the 40D (only the same).

Yeah, its the way to go for aps-c just wish i could upgrade my 50d to the 7d just for the focus system alone, can focus on low contrast. Faster frame rate is great if you need. And video! Canon does a good job on its video part. I dont care about the resolution all that much. As Daniel said if you use bad glass you images wont improve at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven23
    As Daniel said if you use bad glass you images wont improve at all.

Daniel was talking about technique not lens sharpness, even theworst lenses hase more resolution headroom than 18MP. Not counting the corners of ultra wides, they are just mush wide open. But you don't use them in broad daylight anyway so it's WAY less obvious and corner shading usally hides that problem too.

John.

Thanks everyone for the information. I did order the 7D today, now just waiting. I used to shoot Wedding for many years and getting into the digital world of cameras is like starting all over again. But the learning process keeps me busy, which they tell me is a good thing.

Thanks George

I have a question that doesn

Welcome to the forum Frank,

If it is an either/or option, I would recommend the lens. However, I am going to recommend a lens you did not mention, The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. I have both the 17-55 and the 24-70 and I much prefer the 17-55 results on my 50D. I realize this may seem like a duplication of what you have, but the quality difference between the 17-55 and the 18-55 is night and day. Kind of a Ferrari and a Yugo are both cars kind of thing.

Obviously, the best upgrade would be the 7D and the EF-S 17-55. I do not know how tight your budget is, but with the current Canon rebates if you order both together you could get them for $2519 with the rebate doubled on the lens. If you have not done so yet, I would recommend you read Bryan's reviews.

http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-7D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

If you are going to be making a purchase, please consider clicking on a link following one of the reviews as that helps maintain this site.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Frankd7

[.........] Which one?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Well personally, I agree that an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is way to go, especially vs the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM as long as you aren't planning a FF upgrade soon. Now, IF you can deal with shooting with a prime lens, I'd highly recommend going with a 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8. Hell, you can get BOTH for the price of the EF-S 17-55. Now, having said that, the 17-55 is much more versatile, but the other two will both get you better images in low light or fast action (sounds like you'll be doing a little of both!). Also, I WOULD NOT IN ANY SITUATION PUT THE 18-55 KIT LENS ON YOUR CANON 7D.... that almost makes me want to cry!