Thread: New 70-300mm L has arrived in Brisbane..

New 70-300mm L has arrived in Brisbane..

Has anyone tried this new lens out yet?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Re: New 70-300mm L has arrived in Brisbane..

I haven't seen one here yet.

Was hoping someone in Australia could check it out for us.

I had a play with one today.It looksnice,it feelsnice andit works nice. Sounds like I'm talking about my wife's sister. Is that too technical?

I did take some snaps in the camera shop and it is not an indoor lens, in my opinion. With evrything on the 7D on auto, the ISO still had to be pushed to 1250 to get something reasonably sharp while "hand-holding."

The AF is quite zippy, very similar to the 70-200. It isn't going to scare anything off as the adjutments and IS whir is practically inaudible. The weight is not a factor on this stubby little wonder and the balance and feel is very good. The front extends and it has a black ring about 10mm down the tube and the rest is white. It is a handsome stocky little dude.

I liked it, but I didn't buy it. I probably won't buy it. If you've got an IS 70-200 of either aperature, I think you will be happier with that. Hard to justify that extra 100 at f5.6. Having tried it, I am now more than ever beforeinterested in the 400mm length. I would alsolove to be able to buy that mythical 500mm 5.6 that Neuro and many others wish for.

Having said all that, if space is an issue and you are playing outside and you don't have a 70-200, you will love this lens.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/750x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/7462.IMG_5F00_4669_5F00_001.jpg[/img]

@300mm f5.6 1/100 ISO 1250

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/750x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/5086.IMG_5F00_4664_2D00_001.jpg[/img]

@300 f5.6 1/20 ISO1250

All as shot, in the camera shop. I tried to channel Daniel for the technical side, don't think it worked, probably won't get a job as a reviewer.

Steve

Steve U

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U
    It looksnice,it feelsnice andit works nice. Sounds like I'm talking about my wife's sister.

Ummmm...your wife's sister feels nice? Should you be talking about that on a family-friendly forum? I don't wanna know...... [:P]

Seriously though, thanks for sharing your impressions! I'll admit I'm still considering this lens. I hear what you're saying about it not being as useful compared to one of the 70-200's, and I can see that being the case for the 70-200mm f/4's. But it's a lot smaller than the 70-200mm f/2.8 or the 100-400mm, and portability is sometimes critical.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    <div id="ctl00_ctl00_content_content_ctl00_fragment_121 6_ctl01_ctl00_PostForm__QuoteText"]

I haven't seen one here yet.

Was hoping someone in Australia could check it out for us.
    </div>

Steve

I really didn't think you would take this serious and go down to the store and actualy give the lens a once over.

I am going to be real interested in seeing what kind of IQ this thing will produce.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Ummmm...your wife's sister
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Point taken John, just a figure of speech, my beautiful wife actuallyhas no sisters. Sometimes a dry sense of humor becomes so barren it isn't funny.

Portability can be critical, but this lens doesn't make the 100-400 look like a monster standing beside it on the camera store shelf, the 70-300 is solid. Owners that already have a 70-200 and a 100-400and can justify this one as well, have a bad case of L disease. But I'm not one to cast the first stone as I already have the 24mm end well and truely covered but I am still lusting after a 24TS-E. My mate just bought one and it hasbecame his favourite lens almost straight away. Not only,as you know, is it incredibly sharp but it has awoken this whole side of creativity and renewed interest, that is pretty irritating.

back to topic,70-300 is a good lens, will it end up in "your" bag will like everything depend on what is already in there and to a lesser extent how small that"bag" is.

Steve U