Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm baffled w/ AF Microadjustment Problems I'm having ....help PLEASE!

I'm baffled w/ AF Microadjustment Problems I'm having ....help PLEASE!

Hi All -

I was taking some random shots tonight and looking at them on my computer before I decide tonight on whether to keep the Sigma 85mm lens. I looked at the photos in ZoomBrowser EX and noticed I had it set from the other day at a +1 microadjustment. Nothing I did w/ an accurate testing, more or less just a wild guess.

Anyway, I decided to do a full test and all the shots I took tonight doing the test do not show my microadjustment setting in ZoomBrowser EX. In fact, the title AF Microadjustment doesn't show up in the EXIF data at all! But when I shoot random photos, it does! I don't get it. What is making it not show up when I have the camera on a tripod and am focusing on this sheet of paper?

Also, when I look at my shots, there is absolutely no difference in a -20 or a +20 or anything in between. All the shots look the same.

Please help me figure out what is going on. Is it my camera? Is it the lens?

Denise

Re: I'm baffled w/ AF Microadjustment Problems I'm having ....help PLEASE!

Rule out the obvious things first Denise

In the EXIF data does it tell you the right name of the lens you are using

Did you shoot at the lenses widest. I have done it more than once where I rolled the F to higher numbers instead of moving the af adjustment.

Yes, I had it set at 1.4 and it does show it is an 85mm lens.

I figured out why the microadjustment setting doesn

Is your liveview setup for
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I don't think you should be focusing in live view mode to set the AF. You should be doing it in normal shoot mode. In live view you will find the camera focuses in a different way.

That very well may be normal, I haven't tried it. (looking at the exif data to see that is)

Thank you so much both of youfor trying to help me with this!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston

Is your liveview setup for 'fast focus' mode? The fast mode will black out the screen and use the normal phase detection AF. The regular liveview mode keeps the liveview active and uses contrast detection AF (like a P&S). AFMA may only adjust the phase detection variety of AF.

[:|] Pardon my total ignorance but the only foreign language I know is alittle bit of Italian due to my ancestry! I'm sorry but I pretty much never use live view and as far as I knew there was only one liveview (regular) unless it kicks into face detection liveview mode. So I guess I don't reallyknow what I was using but the screen didn't black out at allbut it did error out a few times and could not focus on the line on the paper.

Also, as a side note, when I turned my camera on the other day with the Sigma attached it showed f/00! I had it turn it off and back on and then it was ok.

Denise

Last night when I was messing with reviewing live view to set the AF I tried using the Live View focus on the 5D to see if you could auto focus that way to make comparisons. What I found was that the af settings didn

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

I don't think you should be focusing in live view mode to set the AF. You should be doing it in normal shoot mode. In live view you will find the camera focuses in a different way.

That very well may be normal, I haven't tried it.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I thought since I was using a remote shutter release it would be best to use live view. Also, to have my lens point at a 45 degree angle to the paper on the table, the tripod was set to alittle tohigh for me.

It sounds like your paper didn

I borrowed Neuro