Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need photographing food tips!

Re: Need photographing food tips!

Feel free to post C&C as I don

So you used a softbox in the background and just a umbrella in the front? Was the umbrella in the front a white see through or did it have a black cover on it? Did the front umbrella have a strobe or a flash firing into it? What size strobes where you using if you used them? Use any gels to adjust or correct for WB?

Freelance to answer your questions, yes, I used a 20x20 softbox in the back and a white shoot through umbrella in the front. I

Dave-

For me, the close-up in the third set doesn't look very appetizing. It is hard to see what it is. I think that is a dish that needs to be seen in it's entirety.

I'm not sure the full shots with the "accessories" (sauce bowl / chopsticks) properly show off the food. Perhaps for a billboard or poster type advertisement. But as a standard photo / magazine shot I think it takes away from the food. Again, I am not a professional with this stuff, I am just pointing out my own inexperienced opinions.

I would be quite please with these photos, especially given my novice abilities with flash. Well done.

Braden

Fair enough Braden. I can see your point in that. If I didn

The question is did you get hooked up with a lot of this food? Sushi is my favorite!

But of course! The biggest plus to doing any culinary related shoot. I sampled each dish after I was done shooting it =)

My problem is I

If you need a professional food eater, I'm available...and I'm cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Typically speaking, you'll want to light the food from the back with a large light source using a fair amount of fill on the front to open up the detail in the shadows. My only attempt at food photography was this:

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/budrowilson/3708955292/][/url]

I should have used another strobe toopen upthe shadows, but I didn't. I also shouldn't have chopped off some of the plate with my framing. If I were re-editing it, I'd brighten it up and, if the shadows were not as strong, possibly increase the contrast. Setup shot [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/budrowilson/3708141231/in/set-72157603590811265/[object]]here[/url].
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Sean, What is this yummy looking dish? I see cinnamon sticks, but I can't figure out those dough-ish looking powdered puffs? Is it American, Japanese, or European? I might be looked in a box to long if I can't figure this out!