Thread: Need photographing food tips!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Need photographing food tips!

Be sure and post your work so that we can see. I've shot a few plates of food for some mags and a newspaper and I really didn't like their overall look. I used strobes one time and then natural lighting the next. The guys that seem to shoot the food better at the newspaper where I worked really did not do much preparation and would place the food near a window. I would like to learn to shoot food products better myself. One thing that I've added since then is the 100 IS macro which should provide better results compared to the 70-200mm I was using.

Here

My favorite is the second set, the image on the left. As you said, you don't have to include the entire dish.

You didn't ask for C&C, so I will keep that to myself. Besides, I'm an inexperienced amateur anyways. But I really like that close-up in the second set.

Braden

Feel free to post C&C as I don

So you used a softbox in the background and just a umbrella in the front? Was the umbrella in the front a white see through or did it have a black cover on it? Did the front umbrella have a strobe or a flash firing into it? What size strobes where you using if you used them? Use any gels to adjust or correct for WB?

Freelance to answer your questions, yes, I used a 20x20 softbox in the back and a white shoot through umbrella in the front. I

Dave-

For me, the close-up in the third set doesn't look very appetizing. It is hard to see what it is. I think that is a dish that needs to be seen in it's entirety.

I'm not sure the full shots with the "accessories" (sauce bowl / chopsticks) properly show off the food. Perhaps for a billboard or poster type advertisement. But as a standard photo / magazine shot I think it takes away from the food. Again, I am not a professional with this stuff, I am just pointing out my own inexperienced opinions.

I would be quite please with these photos, especially given my novice abilities with flash. Well done.

Braden