Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need photographing food tips!

Need photographing food tips!

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine has asked me to shoot some pics of his dishes at his restaurant. I

Re: Need photographing food tips!

On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Thank you for the link. The videos offered a lot of insight. Not sure how much of a food stylist role I will be playing, but it

You know, I only looked at page 1 of the results, and assumed there would be plenty more that get into more of the lighting aspect. As you probably noticed, the second page has only 1 video on it... but you can see their lighting setup. An enormous softbox (maybe? Lighting isn
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Typically speaking, you'll want to light the food from the back with a large light source using a fair amount of fill on the front to open up the detail in the shadows. My only attempt at food photography was this:

I should have used another strobe toopen upthe shadows, but I didn't. I also shouldn't have chopped off some of the plate with my framing. If I were re-editing it, I'd brighten it up and, if the shadows were not as strong, possibly increase the contrast. Setup shot ]here.

Thanks for the example and tips. Much appreciated. I definitely went with the back lighting and front fill on my shoot. It went well, but I think I would do a few tings different if I did it again. For one, I don't think it matters if you show the whole plate in terms of an artistic shot. I noticed everytime I tried to fit the entire plate, I didn't like the overall composition as much. Maybe that's just me tho. And I would probably shoot with a more shallow depth of field more often. I'll post some examples from the shoot when I can. Thanks!

Be sure and post your work so that we can see. I've shot a few plates of food for some mags and a newspaper and I really didn't like their overall look. I used strobes one time and then natural lighting the next. The guys that seem to shoot the food better at the newspaper where I worked really did not do much preparation and would place the food near a window. I would like to learn to shoot food products better myself. One thing that I've added since then is the 100 IS macro which should provide better results compared to the 70-200mm I was using.

Here

My favorite is the second set, the image on the left. As you said, you don't have to include the entire dish.

You didn't ask for C&C, so I will keep that to myself. Besides, I'm an inexperienced amateur anyways. But I really like that close-up in the second set.

Braden