Thread: Dave Hill Style Post Processing Anyone??

Dave Hill Style Post Processing Anyone??

For those who've never heard of his name, he's rather famous for creating highly detailed, HDR like surreal images using lighting and post processing techniques.

I've been working at it for some time now, and I feel I may have taken a small step towards imitating his techniques. So I thought I'd share, and see if anyone else here ever tried as well? [] My effects are not as drastic as his and a bit more subtle.

The photoshop workflow is pretty extensive and would be unique to each image so it's hard to explain, but it's multiple masking and isolation of parts and applying, highpass filters, leveling, and contrast adjustments (unsharp masking). It would be pretty easy to replicate using LucasArt filters, but I wanted to try to understand the fundamentals of what effects were being applied.

ISO250, 17mm, 1/100sec, f/2.8 (This is all from a single image)

After:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4478.12_2D00_3_2D00_10-Final.jpg[/img]

Before:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8228.12_2D00_3_2D00_10-Unedited.jpg[/img]

Re: Dave Hill Style Post Processing Anyone??

Never heard about it. Will take a look. I like this. Can not imaging spending several hours of work on each of my images but in special cases, yes. Thanks for sharing. Will google Dave Hill and Lucas Art filters :-)