Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Light Displays

Alan

Christmas Light Displays

Thought I would start a thread on this topic, since we're approaching Christmas. []

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3022.Christmas-display-1.jpg[/img]

Re: Christmas Light Displays

Cool Dude! I just last night went to a lake that was full of Christmas lights last night! If they tured out I will probably post some of them. []

BTW I love your shot! What Camera,lens,shutter speed, f-number, ISO did you shoot it at? I sure would like to know how to get some of that snow too![]As there is none here [:S]

Alan

Elon, thanks. The camera is the 5DMk2, lens 24-105 L. This is an exposure blend of 4 shots. Bright lights with dark backgrounds are challenging for cameras, even today's.

All shots were at 24 mm, ISO 400. The 4 images were 0.3 sec, 0.6, 1.3 and 2.5 (-3, -2,-1, 0 eV, respectively).

They were blended in Photomatix using a automatic adjustment for a simple exposure blending.

I could have taken the -1 eV shot and increased the brightness a bit, and it would have been close to the image I posted.

Alan

Here's another one, using 5 exposures (-3, to +1 eV), 45 mm, ISO 400. Same camera and lens as above.

This guy has a gigantic oak tree covered in white-blue LEDs. It cast the color on his house and on the snow.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7802.oak-tree.jpg[/img]

Your photos are really beautiful, Alan! They are definitely greeting card worthy!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Here's another one, using 5 exposures (-3, to +1 eV), 45 mm, ISO 400. Same camera and lens as above.

This guy has a gigantic oak tree covered in white-blue LEDs. It cast the color on his house and on the snow.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7802.oak-tree.jpg[/img]

Alan,

Excellent Work!!!

I like the contrast between the lighting and the background sky.

I have used that exposure blending feature for some of my night shots in the past with great success.

Todd

Alan

Denise, Todd, thanks.

With the tree, the sky was cloudy that night. I think I'd like to try this one again, but with a perfectly clear, black sky. It would help with the contrast, though I'm hoping the city lights don't interfere too much.

Alan

And, now, for those who love lights. Lots of them. For some, it seems, there are never enough lights. More is ALWAYS better! []

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/0143.front-yard.jpg[/img]

Even the back of the house and yard is covered...no, smothered!...with lights.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2450.back-yard.jpg[/img]

I think I'd like to try this one again, but with a perfectly clear, black sky. It would help with the contrast, though I'm hoping the city lights don't interfere too much.

Alan,

A nice black sky would look great with this shot, but IMHO the background city lights add some "depth" or "sense of area" for me.

The background of the blue tree shot reminded me of some northern light photography, must be the colors...

Looks like some great photo opportunities you have to play with there..

Todd

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Hello, Here is a serious question, did any of these require flash? If not how on earth do you capture the lights? Do you use a tripod, or hand held? These are terrific by the way! Very nice work, merry Christmas and have a wonderful New Year in case I don't reach you again! Same for everyone here, and god bless you!