Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloves to sport the cold!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gloves to sport the cold!!

We often discuss camera bags to carry our gears, so I thought I also throw in a discussion relating to gears we use to handle those said gears...specifically gloves!! []

I've gone out shooting twice in the last two days and couldn't stand to bear the 8degF and the wind for more than 5 minutes at a time. I would lose all sensations in my hand!

So I'm in the market for acquiring some gloves. Specifically looking for something that will allow me to still mess with the dials and buttons on my 7D. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations??

Re: Gloves to sport the cold!!

Oddly enough, I just bought some gloves last weekend to fulfill that very need. They were something like this. I got mine from Eddie Bauer but they don't show the model online, or I'd link directly to them. However, something like this might be even better.

I don't have experience with these, but I'd give them a try: Aqua Tech Sensory Gloves

They are not cheap at all, but they might be worth the money.

Personally I'd have bought them if I could get them without the shipping to my country being more expensive than these gloves themselves [:S]

Ahh!! All those are exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the links Sean and Oren!!

Go to Basspro or Cabelas and look through their hunting gloves. There
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

I don't have experience with these, but I'd give them a try: Aqua Tech Sensory Gloves

These look nice, I may ask for a pair for Christmas.

Another suggestion that I read about was to cut a slit in the first two fingers of an old pair of gloves. I'm not sure if a parallel slit or horizontal slit would be better. I'm kind of thinking that a parallel slit would make it easier to push your finger out of the glove.

Rich

I use a pair of the convertible mittens, REI brand. They work quite well in moderately cold conditions (down to about 15 °F or so). If it's colder than that, I have a pair of thin gloves designed for ultra-cold material handling (sourced from a scientific supplier, intended for laboratory use) - they keep my hands/fingers warmer, although there's an occasional incorrect button press.

Up here in the Great White North, I survive with hand warmers inserted in my gloves. Then it doesn't matter what you wear. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444254 1029&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696025

These are non-reusable chemical packs (but they're environmentally okay). They last a long time, so if I'm done before they are, I just slip them into a small zip-lock bag to stop the reaction. These work a lot better than the sodium acetate liquid heat packs you might have seen elsewhere (the ones that regenerate in boiling water).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

I have a pair of thin gloves designed for ultra-cold material handling (sourced from a scientific supplier, intended for laboratory use)

Haha I wonder if there's one laying around somewhere at my lab. I know we have bulky Autoclave mittons....haha

After reading through the suggestions and reviews online I decided to go with the Aquatech Sensory Gloves. Minimal fingertip exposure and better insulation than fleece, especially at the tip where it gets thinnest. Should get them in the mail in a few days.

I'm heading for Japan later this weeks so gotta prepare for whatever weather they'll throw me there! Just watch... I bet it'll be in the 40's haha [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

I have a pair of thin gloves designed for ultra-cold material handling (sourced from a scientific supplier, intended for laboratory use)

Haha I wonder if there's one laying around somewhere at my lab. I know we have bulky Autoclave mittons....haha

After reading through the suggestions and reviews online I decided to go with the Aquatech Sensory Gloves. Minimal fingertip exposure and better insulation than fleece, especially at the tip where it gets thinnest. Should get them in the mail in a few days.

I'm heading for Japan later this weeks so gotta prepare for whatever weather they'll throw me there! Just watch... I bet it'll be in the mild 40's and 50's haha [:P]