Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS 5D Mark II: Barely worth it!

Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark II: Barely worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by KarelDonk

Todd Reichman:

I would like to know if the AF of the 5D2 is affecting you negatively at all. How do you use it? Only center point? In what shooting conditions? What kind of shoots? What is your opinion on the example of the fashion shooter and wedding shooter who got a lot of out of focus shots with the 5D2?

I photograph 100% weddings and I find the focusing spectacular. With the 5dmk1 I would use the off center points the vast majority of the time. I would only use the center point during the reception when flash + AF assist was necessary. I always select the center point before each shot and was generally happy with the results. With the mark2 I was able to use the off-center points even during the reception which was amazing. So I really can't complain at all - I'm thrilled with the focus. I do want to point out in the interest of full disclosure that I couldn't complain nearly as much about the 5d focus as I've seen out there. Also, I used a 1dsmk3 for a few weeks recently and I don't think its any better than the 5dmk2, at least for what I do.

I'm all weddings and engagements and all on-location. I do a fair amount of PJ work with some fashion-inspired posed stuff thrown in. The camera does everything exactly the way I want, center point, off-center points, One shot and AI. It just works. Granted, I'm a bit of a Canon apologist and I tend to privately feel that folks that complain about Canon's focus don't know what they're doing! I hate to admit that but I've thought it more than once. Its just that I've never had a problem with my several thousand (tens of thousands?) dollars worth of Canon gear that wasn't my fault. I'm not saying that to dengrate anyone, just want to give my opinion some perspective.

thanks

- trr

I have mine since 2 weeks updating from a 5d.

I microadjusted the focus on EF 70-200 f2.8 IS / 24-105 f4 IS /

Images are much better then 5d.

Changing set up directly from the screen is great.

For me it is worth the update

Todd Reichman:

If you don't mind just a few more questions. How is your workflow? Do you view your files at the pixel level?

The reason why I ask is because even when the AF system does not perform well, if you view the images with focus issues at a small size, or if you view small prints of those images, they may appear sharp and in focus. If you look at the example of the fashion shooter and wedding shooter I mentioned in my blog post, the images which were not in focus appear to be in focus when viewed at a small size.

The problem will be noticible in large prints and when cropping.

I never liked the focus out of the center on the 5D. I did not find it consistent, so I preferred to use the center point.

With the 5D MKII I tried for on day to autofocus outside the center, but I was not happy with the result, so I came back to focus on the centerpoint.

Todd Reichman:

If you don't mind just a few more questions. How is your workflow? Do you view your files at the pixel level?

The reason why I ask is because even when the AF system does not perform well, if you view the images with focus issues at a small size, or if you view small prints of those images, they may appear sharp and in focus. If you look at the example of the fashion shooter and wedding shooter I mentioned in my blog post, the images which were not in focus appear to be in focus when viewed at a small size.

The problem will be noticible in large prints and when cropping.

My workflow is fine? I view files at a reasonable level and I'd like to think that we have a commitment to only using technically sound images. We sell wall portraits from every session and have no problem with softness. Part of it comes down to the fact that viewing a 21mp files at very small levels is a bit hinky - more pixels means more sharpening required. When I first looked at the files close up I was a little dissappointed, but when I applied a reasonable level of sharpening (say, the same amount I typically used for 5dmark1 files) the resulting image was way sharper than the mark1.

So in short, to answer your question I feel that I am looking at the files properly, and they are great. Is it perhaps possible that I dont have this "problem" []?

- trr

Todd Reichman:

I don't agree that more pixels = more sharpening required. If the image quality is really better compared to a smaller MP camera, then it should look as sharp, or sharper with more pixels. You might want to check if noise reduction inside the camera is not making your images look less detailed.

And a reasonable level might be reasonable for you, and as a result you may not have the "problem". But even here you see others agreeing with me about the poor AF. So I would think it also exists in your situation. I can however understand if you are not affected by it because you don't need all the resolution and might not notice the focus issues.

But for me, I can't take a picture of a model that will end up on a large poster or billboard, and have the model slightly out of focus. That same picture might look great as a small photo on someone's desk, but the issue would still be there.

I can also not even dream about submitting such a picture to a stock agency.

All I can say is that I am absolutely in support of you having and sharing your opinion even if I don't agree with it. I do find it a little off-putting (and hey, this is the internet so I might be reading into it) that you seem to indicating that my standards are low or that I don't know much about my camera or my photography. I'm quite convinced that neither I nor my 5dmk2s have a problem. In fact, I'm quite shocked by the increased sharpness and image quality over the 5dmk1. I regularly print 24x36 - 40x60 and deliver these to paying clients and I have no concerns about a lack of focus/sharpness.

I'm on record again - the quality of images that I an seeing out of the 5dmk2 is very impressive to me. Certainly, if you're disappointed I can't tell you that you're wrong.

And the image sharpness issue I was referring to before was from 1dsmk3 21mp files. They seemed to require sharpening more than the 5d. The files out of my 5dmk2 are far superior.

- trr

I love my new 5D Mark II. I'm coming from a 30D and it's a world of difference.

- Vince

Todd Reichman:

I'm not saying you have low standards, I'm just trying to find out why it is that you have no issues with the 5D2 AF system while others do. It is entirely possible that you use it in such a way where you are not affected by the issues. For example, people using only the center AF point are going to swear on their life that the 5D2 AF system is excellent. In the same way, if you shoot only during day time, you'd likely never encounter the black dots.

Todd Reichman:

I'm not saying you have low standards, I'm just trying to find out why it is that you have no issues with the 5D2 AF system while others do. It is entirely possible that you use it in such a way where you are not affected by the issues. For example, people using only the center AF point are going to swear on their life that the 5D2 AF system is excellent. In the same way, if you shoot only during day time, you'd likely never encounter the black dots.

Yup, some folks are complaining. The places that I frequent most folks seem pretty enamored with their 5dmk2s and the resulting files. I use the AF in great light, terrible light, availalbe light, created light, etc. I use off-center focus points almost exclusively now. I'm very happy with the performance without any reservation or hyperbole.

On the other side of the coin I'd wonder what people are doing that's keeping them from getting great images?

Just to add, while I can respect the fact that the black dot thing has been repeatable I didn't see any of that with bright highlights during my wedding reception last weekend. I didn't make a scientific test of it but I tried to see if it would happen under circumstances in the environment I was in and I coulnd't make it happen.

- trr