Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Canon EOS 5D Mark II: Barely worth it!

Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark II: Barely worth it!

Mr Chad:

Yes, 40D and 50D AI Servo is pretty bad. Even Galbraith said it just can't do the job at all.

I do however think that the 40D and 50D AF systems are faster and more accurate than the 5D2 in One-shot mode. Just based on the specs alone, it is only logical to conclude that, but I've read enough experiences for this as well.

Tom Alicoate:

The 5D2 is slower and less accurate compared to 40D/50D when you consider the outer AF points. That's not accetable in such an expensive pro body.

If there was a 15MP body with clean 12800 ISO, I'd pay good money for that, and I'd still get the 85mm f/1.2 L because that lens is simply incredible at f/1.2.

Steve Spencer:

I think that it's a fact that the 5D2 AF system is inferior to even the cheaper models out there, that it is slower and less accurate. There are enough experiences from others to prove this. Even just based on the specs, this is clear.

Based on those facts, my opinion is that it is a joke to include that kind of AF system in a high resolution camera where you would need a very good AF system to fully take advantage of 21MP. The AF system is very inadequate unless you stick to using center point alone. But this goes against one of the most basic rules in photography/art: the rule of thirds. Canon simply do not understand photography well enough, it appears to me.

Others may have their opinions on this and that again is fine by me.

With regards to cropping, I want to crop as less as possible. Otherwise you throw away a large part of 21MP. The whole point of 21MP is taking advantage of that resolution.With giving us this kind of resolution, Canon should also give us the tools to take good advantage of it, like a good AF system and AF points that are spread close enough to the rule of thirds grid.

Focus and recompose will not work, not for anyone, when using larger apertures. Try focus and recompose below f/2. Even smaller apertures are an issue depending on your subject. So this means that if you think you're going to be shooting wide open at a low light event and use focus recompose, you had better count on giving the client back their money and deal with a potential lawsuit.

Finally, I don't think the 5D2 is worth $2700 simply because it gives you less in a lot of areas compared to other cheaper systems from both Canon and Nikon. The only thing it has is 21MP, which are crippled because of the poor AF system, and which have artifacting issues right now. Is 21MP alone worth the price? I guess that is for everyone else to decide on their own. But it's not for me.

I was very excited to sign up for inclusion in this community. I figured with all Canon shooters that we could get away from the endless comparisons of Nikon vs Canon. There is no point really when we have already commited to Canon. Sure people can movev on to Sony or Nikon, but there are other websites for them once they go. Let this one be for Canon. Let it be for people who want to make their experience with theirCanon's better. I think Bryan's first reaction to remove this thread was correct. Its definitely not the kind of thing I came to this site for. Perhaps a politics or comparisons forum could be allowed for this type of thread here. That way people who want to get into this sort of thing can, but the rest of can ignore it. I for one am going to start ignoring this one.

Tom

Let's go take some photos.

Tom Alicoate:

The purpose of this discussion is to make my and everyone else'sexperience with Canon gear better in the future. Weaknesses need to be pointed out and discussed too, not just strengths. That's how you improve.

Hi Karel,

You claim, "I think that it's a fact that the 5D2 AF system is inferior to even the cheaper models out there, that it is slower and less accurate. There are enough experiences from others to prove this. Even just based on the specs, this is clear." IMO, you are once again claiming as fact matters that are in dispute. You are again failing to listen to other people's views and give them a fair hearing. It is this sort of intransigence and overwrought analysis that makes a discussion with you so difficult. As was pointed out a few post ago, there seem to be aspects of the 40D/50D AF that are better (particularly the outer focus points) and aspects of the 5D MKII autofocus that are better (particularly the center AF point with its six helper points in AI servo). It seems to me that which system is better depends on how you are going to use the camera and that one system is better in some situations and the other is better in others. But such an analysis would require a balanced and nuanced analysis, you don't seem to be comfortable with such analyses, so I am going to bow out of this discussion. It has already been too contentious in my view and my hope and thought was that this site was aiming for a different tone to the discussion. So far I am afraid I have already deviated too far from that higher standard.

Best wishes,

Steve

Steve Spencer:

I do listen to people's views and give them a fair hearing. That's why I have concluded that the 5D2 AF system is inferior. I have also admitted that for certain use, it might be good enough. Like for example using only center AF point, landscapes, etc. Still makes it inferior to the 40D/50D and certainly cameras like the D700 and even the D300 which are all cheaper.

Thanks everyone. In the interest of moving the forum on to new discussions, I am going to lock this thread now.