Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS 5D Mark II: Barely worth it!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II: Barely worth it!

This is probably this forum's first controversial post. I wrote a little about the new 5D Mark II on the link below. I'm interested to know your opinions. Most people seem to like the 5D2. Are they blind to the issues, ignoring them,or am I smoking crack?

http://www.kareldonk.com/karel/2008/12/22/canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-barely-worth-it

Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark II: Barely worth it!

I've been using mine for about a month and couldn't behappierwith it.

FWIW, I've shot well over 1000 frames in all sorts of conditions, and I've yet to have a black dot ruin even a single photo. If I was an astrophotographer, maybe I'd be more concerned, but it's a complete non-issue for me.

I myself do not appreciate people who use someone else's forum to promote there own blogs.
    Owner of Deevers Photography. If you have some time, visit my website at deeversphoto.com.

I won't get into is the Nikon D700 or Sony A900 better than the 5DII - while some folks will change brands for most the investment in lenses makes that a decision not made easily. But is it better than the 5D? I have to say yes - it has better resolving power and equivalent ISO performance.

One thing that I don't see mentioned in all the strident comparisons is a huge but simple thing: Autofocus Microadjustment. If you haven't tried it on your own lenses, it alone is worth the upgrade whether you're talking 40D to 50D or 5D to 5dII. I hear people saying "I won't bother with that", but the people who actually take the time to calibrate their lenses to their camera seem to all find at least one or two of their lenses are markedly improved.

Karel and I had a chat about this post as I was uncomfortable with it. Karel is a Canon user - and is intent on making Canon give us better gear. I'll give it a try - give your thoughts.

I know I haven't finished the overdue 5D II review, buy my personal opinion to this point is that this is a great camera. It's not perfect, but the image quality is excellent - and it doesn't cost $8k. I think it is a great upgrade from the 5D or any of the xxD or xxxD bodies. Sports shooters may want to move to the 1D series bodies.

I'd still prefer to see a movement away from such on objective critiques, I would rather see a very well laid out and constructive request or story of ones own experience rather than just all out bashing.

Noted David.

I've had my 5D Mk II for just under 3 weeks and I am truly impressed with the improved image quality and low light performance compared with the 5D. This is a GREAT camera and I've only begun to start using all the other nice features.

As for the AF, I think it's better with the new Digic IV but I won't know until summer. The 5D use to have problems focusing on fast moving objects in the foreground when there is an irregular background. This is probably a job for the 1D3 but all the same, the 5D gave satisfactory results.

Quote Originally Posted by KarelDonk
    Are they blind to the issues, ignoring them, or am I smoking crack?
    I'm aware of the issues, but for my purposes the 5d2 is still the best option available. I need fast, wide lenses for the angle of view and depth of field that I want, and I want as much light gathering power and sensitivity as I can get with a low read noise in underexposure.

I would have switched to Nikon 18 months ago because of their superior autofocus and higher sensitivity of the sensor. But Nikon lacks a 24mm f/1.4, clips black in RAW above the mean read noise signal, does long-exposure noise reduction in RAW (that can't be disabled), and the 35mm f/1.4 does not even autofocus. Plus, the camera throws the mirror for every exposure in live view, which causes lots of vibration in a mount. It also lacks "electronic first curtain", which reduces vibration from the focal plane shutter (not mirror) significantly. Therefore it is suboptimal for my purposes.

I also looked at the A900 very closely, but the lack of liveview is a dealbreaker.

I agree that the 5d2 autofocus is not as good as equivalently priced AF from Nikon, and it would be nice if Canon tries to compete in that area in the future. I'm displeased with several issues on the 5d2. The limitation of HTP for ISO over 3200, the lack of true raw RGB histograms, no Auto ISO in manual, a variety of problems in the video feature, and the horizontal variable pattern noise are the ones that come to mind most readily.

Having discussed some of these things with Karel already, I will just summarize the areas where we disagree. One is the idea that the 5d2 would have had better S/N (signal to noise ratio) and dynamic range if it had fewer megapixels (e.g. 12 MP). I think that noise scales with resolution, so that for a given sensor size, a camera with higher resolution can always reproduce the same image (same noise) as a camera with lower resolution. Emil Martinec demonstrates in this post:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/...t&p=241562

Karel, I understand that your point of view is that "more megapixels are for doing larger prints with better quality", so you think that it's not enough to provide the same quality (e.g. noise at high ISO) at the same print size, but the higher-resolution camera must also provide the same (or better) quality in a larger print. I don't think that's a fair or useful standard for the comparison of cameras, and that it's better to evaluate based on the degree of flexibility that a camera offers. The 5d2 has flexibility to be used at full resolution, even in high ISO, where it will show a lot of noise, or it can be resampled to low resolution (e.g. 12 MP) and it will show less noise, so it provides all the benefits of a 12 MP camera, but the option, for those that desire it, to use much higher resolutions.

I am really enjoying my 5d2 a lot, despite its shortcomings.

After exchanging some emails with Bryan, I was able to explain to him the purpose of my “anti-Canon” posts and he has agreed to restore my original post back on the forum. Basically I told him I am a Canon user and that the purpose of all this is not just to bash Canon, but to make it absolutely clear we’re not very satisfied with how things are going right now and to stimulate Canon to improve in the future. If that happens, it will benefit all of us. It is important to be critical of Canon, otherwise those of us who have invested in Canon gear will be forced to look for alternatives in the future.