Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International Flight Carry On

International Flight Carry On

So I'm traveling to Japan in a few days and I'm taking all my camera gears (except for light stands and tripod) on carry-on with me.As far as I can tell from FAA regulations, I wont have any trouble taking my gear with me.

3 external flashes, few lenses, camera, wireless triggers, and laptop.

It says that as long as the batteries are 'installed' and are not spare batteries they are acceptable.

I was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences with taking their gear as carry-ons. I was a bit worried about having to explain the Cactus V4 wireless triggers if they asked...

I'm flying out of Chicago O'hare with a layover in Vancouver. Last time I did this last year (without my gear) they looked through EVERYTHING when coming back into the US.

Re: International Flight Carry On

I have no clue about any of these, but i cant wait to see your photos! you are so lucky! what part or prefecture will you be visiting in Japan? Good luck, and tell every story you can when you return!

[6]P.S.S make sure they don't touch your junk []

Hi Takahiro, I had a recent trip to Alaska last October. I had my full gear, including my tripod, which I carried around separately. I took the laptop out of the laptop compartment, of course, and let everything else go through the x-ray. No issues whatsoever.

Have fun on your trip and don

Another thing you might want to have on you is proof that you had your gear before leaving the US so that they don
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

I
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Takahiro,

I travel to Japan often and never have had any problems leaving or returning with my gear. Never had any customs issues here or in Japan.

I too, bring a lot of camera gear with me and never had my bag inspected. I have not however, brought any wireless triggers with me so I could not advise on that.

Have a great Time!

Todd

Earlier this year I traveled to Suriname and then later to Spain. I carried my 5D, flash, lenses and extra batteries and charger(do not forget your power converter so you can charge your batteries) with no trouble.

I also carried it on a cruise to Cozumel. They did have me pull the AA battery carrier for my 5D grip. It must have looked strange on the X-ray but it was no trouble.

Mark
    Mark

Hi TakahiroW4047

What I have done in the past was stow all my cables, batteries, flashes and other non-essential equipment into my luggage which left me with only my camera body and lenses. I did keep my camera battery with me, you never know when an image may present itself. Also, you may wish to register said equipment where possible, however; in Toronto, I was told by Customs that they recommend having receipts of equipment!

Enjoy yourself and Happy Holidays everyone!
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Thank you everyone for the great advices!!I will definitely carry a copy of a receipt!

I wont be taking my tripod on with me carryon of course, but I was still hoping to take my new GP3 Gorillapod (the big one) on with me. It's an odd looking thing but should be ok I hope [*-)]