Thread: The keg (85mm 1.2 mkiI) with the 1DS Mki...

The keg (85mm 1.2 mkiI) with the 1DS Mki...

Hello everyone, and thank you for coming. I want to do a mix up of my camera system and lens. i am thinking of trading my 5D mki and the 35mm f/1.4L for the 1Ds mkI with the keg (85mm 1.2 mkiI). a few reasons to trade would be based on the fact that i cant get the hand of the 35mm 1.4 as it seems wider than i need at times! the 5d is fantastic, but i cant wait until next year about may or so for my ability to upgrade the lens as an anniversary gift So that is why i want to auction these of and do the switch! i loved the 5d and it is pretty hard to beat for its age, but i read the old 1ds mki is no beater as well! i read and have seen many awesome photos taken by the 85mm mkii that make me feel like it would be right for me, that or maybe i am mesmerized by the totality of fine glass it offers (: i am confident that if i do this i wont be disappointed, but i feel the need to ask my fellow Canon(L)untaics for their hinest and straight forward opinions! remember i do this for fun, but i love the ability to get the most out of my dslr system despite the $$$$$ needed to cure my insanity! the wife knows im a lost cause but she stands behind,er by me in my adventures! now only to imagine the awesomeness of that awe inspiring combo! i plan to not have a particular style of shooting, but so far it appears portraits are common!

Re: The keg (85mm 1.2 mkiI) with the 1DS Mki...

Hi Americo,

Wow, I

ty good advice!

I offer this advice from a beginners perspective and someone that has watched your progress, your battles played out in front of everybody and your unbridled passion for your photography. You obviously want to learn and improve and are trying hard to make that happen.

If you really want to change your gear again, I think you should look very seriously at the combo that just keeps on getting recommended on this site by those in the know.

Grab a 7D and the 17-55mm F2.8 IS. You will have fast AF and great metering and a lens that has IQ that rivals anything that Canon produce. Your keeper rate from this set up will improve and you have built in flash and so on.

You have an eye for interesting composition and some artistic flair, this set up would help you develop that. Look what Sean produces from this combo.

Your frustration is palpable in some of your posts and I think this combo may give you the most help to achieve what you want. The 85mm F1.2 is a fantastic lens but the learning curve on that would arguably be a lot steeper than your 35mm F1.4. Swapping from the 35 to the 85 won
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

[:$]Thank you very much, this is wonderful to hear! i have already decided to stay with my current set up, but if the need arises again, i will consider this suggestion! i do like the video availability, but as the wife says, we have that in i phones! [:|]

Good for you a wise and very economical choice. [Y]

You would know that the 7D has more than excellent video, users of this site that already own 5DMk2's have later gone on to purchase the 7D because it is the best sport and wildlife camera under $4500. Plus it is a very handy portrait camera.

Not in the same class as the 5D for low light, creative still life portraits, which seem to be your focus, so again wise choice.[Y]

All the best.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Just go shoot. Please.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.