Thread: "First Date" with my 5d mkii

"First Date" with my 5d mkii

just went toa wedding and i thought it was perfect for trying out my new 5d mkii.

the following are a few shots that I took......

please do comment on how I can possibly make the shot better..... so basically I'm asking for input on exposure of the shot

so here goes

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4861.baste-FB0007.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7870.baste3--FB0015.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2072.baste3--FB0010.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8055.baste3--FB0011.JPG[/img]

Do the shots seem "under exposed"?? Anything I can brighten them up without losing details like the small sparling lights?? MOst wer shot atISO 1600..

thanks!!

Re: "First Date" with my 5d mkii

Quote Originally Posted by jks_photo

just went toa wedding and i thought it was perfect for trying out my new 5d mkii.

the following are a few shots that I took......

please do comment on how I can possibly make the shot better..... so basically I'm asking for input on exposure of the shot

JKS, Congrats on your new 5D Mk II---As far as the exposure, I think the first shot of the church is right on, But you may try and cool down the white balance a little, the bride's dress looks a littleoff-white to me--at least on my $198 monitor. But the exposure on the stained glass is very nice. The other shots could also use a little WB adjustment and maybe bump the exposure just a little. Overall, very nice shots. And Wow, that 5D2 really takes nice photo's---what lens did you use for these?

Bob
    Bob

Nice one JKS. I agree the exposure could be lifted a little. At least in the darks and shadows slightly. If you have lightroom then you can just use the sliders in the develop tab and adjust the shadows a touch and the darks a little more. If you use photoshop then a quick curves adjustment will do the same thing.

That way you should retain a lot of the details in the highlights like the stained glass windows while bringing out some more detail in the darker areas. They
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

hi BW,

used a 24-70 2.8L ... I was trying to cool them down a bit but somehow it didn

The first shot is perfect! Congrats on your purchase.

Hi Ben,

I basically use DPP for post processing. Not really comfortable tinkering witrh colors of photos with photoshop, and I don

Hi Guys,

here is the church shot done with your suggestions of cooling it down a bit and adding a bit more exposure to lighten the shadows ....

all post process was done in DPP.... added .5 exposure to brighten it up a bit...

what do you think???

/[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7774.round2.JPG[/img]

jks,

I actually prefer the first version better. Before.., my eye was drawn down the aisle to the couple, and now my eye is drawn to the flowers in the foreground, the red carpet and tile, as well as the videographers light stand on the left side which is now brighter.

I also think the the 2 statues to the right and left of the altar are now slightly overexposed, and you

Hi Rich,

yes i see what you mean by the vertical orientation shot... it would have been real nice especially with that stained glass on top of the altar.... that