Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery Grips...... DO we really need them???

Re: Battery Grips...... DO we really need them???

For me, the extra battery power is only useful when I

I loved the grip so much on my friends 50D and my XT that when i upgraded i went to the 1D MK III becasue of the one piece durability of the camera. I feel it makes it more rugged.

I used one on the Rebel Xti a few years ago, mainly beceause I benefited from the extra available space to put my pinky when I gripped the body. I haven

I like the grip, don't find them to be worth it overall. If you are using a pro lens, it is easy to hold the camera by the lens quite a bit, balancing things out and makes your trigger hand a little more comfortable.

Not sure if thats 'proper' but I can shoot 1/20th a second at 35mm or 70mm at 1/40th (but with a 1.6x 7d so 56mm and 112mm equivalent, respectively) a second and get really sharp results. I don't find a grip to help whatsoever.

Battery life is a plus but I don't find it hard to keep a spare battery in the pocket.

Heck ya i do, makes it so much better to shoot with, and i kinda like the attention i get from people, thinking im sort of a pro photographer. Lolz

Add another vote for the grip. I keep mine on all the time. I like the balance they add as well as the better grip. Like Clemmb (Mark), I also use the hand strap so I need a grip to use it. I have found the extra battery is an added benefit, especially with my 70-200 2.8 IS. It seems to need the extra capacity to last a long day.

Chris

I always use a grip on my 5D2. I like having the portrait controls and it balances out the camera nicely when you have heavy lenses attached. It
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30