Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Grips...... DO we really need them???

Battery Grips...... DO we really need them???

Just wanted to know what you guys think of battery grips.... Does one really need it? I myself shoot only about 300-500 shots when i go out..

I used one before... well aside from making the camera look bigger, the shutter button for the vertical oriented shots seems a nice touch but do we really need it??

Re: Battery Grips...... DO we really need them???

Can only talk from person experience 400D.

YES, thrice yes.

My father in law also has a 400D without grip and when I use it if feels uncomfortable, small toy like and hard to control when compared to my 400D with grip.

The vertical controls are a god send when doing portrait work

The grip makes it easier to control the camera in any orientation

The grip makes the camera more comfortable to hold in any orientation

The grip means I can make use of my extensive collection of rechargeable AA batteries without having to fork out for another standard battery

If you dont like it you can take it off!

I have also used a 50D with and without grip, the benefits might be ameliorated by the already larger format but I still think it would be worth it.

Well, I don

I

Quote Originally Posted by jks_photo

I myself shoot only about 300-500 shots when i go out..well aside from making the camera look bigger, the shutter button for the vertical oriented shots seems a nice touch but do we really need it??

I certainly get a lot of use out of the battery grips I have for my 7D and 5DII - they are almost always on the camera. The only exception are outings where I take my Lowepro Primus AW backpack (bottom half for camera gear, top half for other stuff, like raincoats and a lunch, etc.) - that pack does not hold a gripped body well, although all my other bags do fine.

For me, the extra battery life is not really needed - it's a battery GRIP. The advantage of the grip is ergonomic, allowing my whole hand to grip the camera, providing extra balance for using longer or heavier lenses (even short lenses like the 85mm f/1.2L II benefit from that, although the 85mm f/1.8 felt 'off' with the grip). The vertical controls are nice, too, but mainly it's about more comfortable handling.

For Me---I can
    Bob

I shoot wedding so the grip is a must. I do not use the verticle shutter. I use the had strap so changing to the verticle shutter button does not work. Without the grip the camera feels like a toy and the one battery does not last long enough for weddings.

Mark
    Mark

I have big hands, so they really help to balance the camera for me.

Im also a professional wedding photographer, so the less messing about the better for me.

I like the grip more for heavier lenses, then I do for the extra battery, but the extra battery is certainly a nice touch.

As others have stated the grip balances the camera better and gives you a more solid "Grip." It also balances better on a tripod, monopod and Gimbal head when using lens plates. The Vertical shutter button is also a bonus. I would say the grip feels better with the bricks like the 24-70mm f/2.8, 85 f/1.2, as well as pipes like the 70-200mm f/2.8, 100-400mm, super-telephoto lenses, and/or a shoe mounted flash. It's probably not need with the smaller and slower prime lenses.

The other thing that the grip does which I have noticed and I've heard talked about here, is that the grip will make your set-up look a lot more professional for not that much more money, just because of the sheer size of it. A 5D or 7D could look rather pedestrian without the grip, but when you put that grip on people will come over to you and say, "wow that's some nice camera you've got there. It will help distinguish you from many other hobbyists that have simple DSLR's at home.

With that said, if I want to travel light, or for family functions with light primes, I will usually leave the grip at home, for everything else the grip stays on.

Rich

I love mine on my 50d i have big hands so it feels much better with the grip than without and the controls are a big plus to........rod