Thread: Canon EF Extender 1.4 vs. 1.4 II

Canon EF Extender 1.4 vs. 1.4 II

Hello there all,

I've been lookin to buy the Extender 1.4 since it is used and half the price compared to the 1.4 II.

What are the big differences between these two? Is it just some small changes? Is it a any good idea to buy this old one?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Canon EF Extender 1.4 vs. 1.4 II

As far as I'm aware the only difference is that the 1.4II has slightly better flare control due to the coatings on the non-optical internal parts. The used one should be fine if you're not using it a lot.

1.4II is also weather-proofed (the first one was not, AFAIK). The optical parts of both versions are the same.

Tony

That's true. Sometimes I feel a bit silly with a weather proofed T/C sandwiched between an unproofed lens and body[]

Although its just the sort of flimsy excuse I need to upgrade.......

Unless you're shooting on with a 1-series and a weather sealed lens you may want to consider skipping the Canon 1.4x's all together and go with a Tamron or Kenko pro 1.4x--virtually identical IQ in a smaller, cheaper package.

Thank you guys for your awesome answers! When I read it this morning (now) I bought it straight away!

I use a 5D and since it is not weather-proofed it will not be a huge difference in my life. I might consider a new 1.4x when I buy the 5DMII or like you said a 1-series. But until then I think this will work brilliant for me!