Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 135L - I can't get a sharp shot no matter what :(

Re: 135L - I can't get a sharp shot no matter what :(

Denise, if you focus using Live View, the camera just uses the image sensor to adjust the focus by detecting contrast. It can't use the AF sensor because the mirror is up when you use Live View, so no light reaches the AF sensor and your microadjustment setting can't be used. The reason I suggested Live View was to see whether the lens was capable of achieving sharp focus. It looks like it is, so we know the problem is with the microadjustment rather than the lens.

What you need to do now is go back to using the AF sensor, without Live View, and try the various microadjustment values until you find the one that works best. You should then see a progression from front-focus to back-focus as you increase the adjustment. Based on your earlier posts, somewhere between +5 and +20 should give a sharp image.

If you get to +20 and still have a front-focus problem, you should return the lens.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-11-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stringer

Denise,if you focus using Live View, the camera just uses the image sensor to adjust the focus by detecting contrast. It can't use the AFsensor because the mirror is up when you use Live View, so no light reaches the AF sensor andyour microadjustment settingcan't be used. The reason I suggested Live View was to see whether the lens was capable of achieving sharp focus. It looks like it is, so we know the problem is with the microadjustment rather than the lens.

What you need to do now is go back to using the AF sensor, without Live View, and try the various microadjustment values until you find the one that works best. You should then see a progression from front-focus to back-focus as you increase the adjustment. Based on your earlier posts, somewhere between +5 and +20shouldgive a sharp image.

If you get to +20 and still have a front-focus problem, you should return the lens.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

See if this will help. Download the test pattern
    http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

Denise,

One more thought, then I

I don't think there's an issue with the 135L retaining the adjustment because the EXIF for the first picture of the dog in the snow shows +5.

When using Live View, AF Microadjustment can't be applied, hence the "0" value.

I don't know what is meant by "Unknown (2)". I don't see that on my images, but it could be that I'm using Lightroom, which reports a different set of EXIF data. I don't think it's a problem but I'm not going to delve into the DPP manual of EXIF parameters to find out (well, not at this time anyway, let's hope it doesn't come to that).

It's tough doing troubleshooting across time zones. It's Christmas Day already here and I need some sleep. I hope you are able to resolve this, Denise, and I hope it hasn't spoiled your holidays too much. When you get the 135 to work, I'm sure you'll be delighted with it.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-11-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tkerr
    <p sizset="41" sizcache="19"]See if this will help. Download the test pattern
    http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

I will definitely run thru this tomorrow at some point. I have shot so many test shots tonight of everything I could think of! Thank you for the link!!

Merry Christmas Everyone and thank you so much for taking the time to help me out with this! I sincerely appreciate it! I think I've already gotten the best gift a person could get this holiday season ...some truly amazing new friends!!!

Denise

Here are some shots all taken at +14, let me know what you think whenever you get a chance. Again, excuse the randomness of the subject matter in all of them!

Focus is on the ultrasonic symbol ...

Focus is on the "T" in tasting &amp; "C" in chewy (told you these were totally random)! ...

Focus is on the "105" ...

Focus is on his left eye ...

Focus is on the corner of his right eye ...

Focus is on the tip and last "S" of the red candy ...

All but the dog shots were taken using a tripod and all are at f/2.

Thanks for your time!

Denise

These are looking good. Now try this setting tomorrow outside at a distance.

Mark
    Mark

Denise

The last series at +14 looked fairly close.

When calibrating the 100mm IS L last week the series of pictures I took a series at each setting then compared the overall results. Here is a normal result I would get at the right setting. At Plus 3 I had Back Focus of 7 On Focus of 11 and Front Focus of 6.

Just looking at 1 picture its hard to pin it down. A person really needs a series of pictures at each setting to determine if it is hitting or not. Another thing is even though say the picture with Natures Recipe appears to be dead on, I know that that the positioning of your camera is skewed and not square to the table. Same thing with the lenses. You can see the DOF trail off sideways up and down in the pics.

You should be using AF single point, single shot to test with. Since you do not have a lensalign, maybe lay a ruler down on the table next to the item you are shooting. It might help getting a feel of what is going on.

With the 500mm F4L on the 5D, which is extremely accurate (the most accurate lens I own) at 0 I had Front Focus of 12, On Focus of 21 and Back Focus of 3 in the series. Even the most accurate lens combinations are going to drift front to back a little. You got to hit the right average at the setting that works.

If its not to late to send it back, I wouldn

Denise

Others have a sharper eye than myself. But +14 looks like a winner to me. Especially in the first two photos I can see a very distinct (and narrow) focal plane.

Merry Christmas

Brant

Oops. Focal plane in the wood grain on the table.