Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 135L - I can't get a sharp shot no matter what :(

135L - I can't get a sharp shot no matter what :(

This is suppose to be one of the sharpest lenses Canon has to offer isn't it? I will take my Sigma 85mm any day in comparison to what I am getting from the 135L!

I realize both don't have IS but I can shoot at 1/30 handheld with the Sigma and still get some keepers. So, then I thought ok wellmaybe it is because the 135mm is longer and harder for me to handhold with any stability so I put it on a tripod and still the same thing, totally out of focus shots!

I did the micro adjustment thing with a paper ruler taped to the table and thougth +3 was ok but now using this is real world shots its not. I've set it at everything from -5 to +5 and nothing looks good!

I am thinking I should send this baby back for a refund!

This was shot at +5 using a tripod and he is standing very still - unedited, f/2, 1/1250, focus is on his left eye ... If you click on the photo, you can see a larger version in flickr. Is it just my eyesight or does his butt look more in-focus than his eye?

I have others of plant branches, flower hook, anything I could think of to focus on at various microadjustment settings but nothing higher than +5 and they all look just as bad!

Denise

Re: 135L - I can't get a sharp shot no matter what :(

ya it certainly doesn

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

I am thinking I should send this baby back for a refund!

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I think I would, or maybe exchange. This lens should be sharp. I have not known of anyone getting a bad copy. You could be the first.

I get sharper images from my 100 f2 wide open than this.

Mark
    Mark

It looked like it is still Front Focusing, but can

I sure do have shots at +0 microadjustment!

Focus is on his right eye (but you'd never guess it)!

On the flower pot hook the focus is on the large flower in the middle ...

This next one is at +2 microadjustment, focus on his right eye, no tripod used but astable handheld shot...

Those all are Front focused. Maybe go deeper than +5?

Denise, I would be disappointed with sharpness like that even if it was a kit lens. Like others have said, I think it needs a larger adjustment. My 135L needs a +12 adjustment on my 1D IV, so don't be afraid to go all the way out to + 20 if you need to, that's what microadjustment is for. Edit:My 135Lneeds +7 (it's my 135L + 1.4x extender that needs +12). Of couse, you have a different copy, Denise,so these figures are for illustration rather than suggestions for your lens).

How far away were you from the ruler when doing the microadjustment? Most advice I've seen says the target should be at a distance of 20 times the lens focal length. For this lens, that's 2.7 metres (8' 10"). If you did the microadjustment at a closer distance, it may be off when you shoot subjects at a more typical working distance for this lens. When doing the microadjustment, use "One Shot AF" mode and set the lens to focus at infinity before every test shot. Use mirror lockup and shutter delay to eliminate vibration.

If you're using a tripod, you can try focussing in Live View. If that looks sharp, you have a microadjustment issue. If it still isn't sharp with Live View, I would send the lens back.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-11-2011 at 02:33 PM.

the last one looks sharp just not where you want it too be. I don

Other than being hand held I can't possibly explain what the problem would be unless it's a defective camera lens. Every now and then one slips through.

However, for the outdoor pictures there is an issue with optics that is often overlooked for general photography that can have serious effects on focus and image sharpness. Especially when taking a camera from the comforts of indoors to the cold or hot outdoors. Thermal Equilibrium!

As an amateur astronomer I am all to familiar with the effects of temperature differences on optics.

If you keep your camera lens inside your home, and then step outside for a quick picture, the warmth of the lens will be radiating thermal turbulence around the camera lens as it releases that stored heat into the air surrounding it. Additionally, where you hold your warm hand will have similar effects with the warmth radiating off your hand.

At night aim your camera at the bright moon when it is cold outside, and then hold your hand just below the front of the lens when you look through to focus it. You will see the heat radiating off your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    Is it normal to have MA 20+?
    No, it's not normal for a lens to need a +20 adjustment, and I'm not saying that Denise necessarily needs to go that far, but she should go further than +5 before rejecting the lens.

The lens may be capable of taking perfectly sharp pictures with a different adjustment. You might go through more than ten copies before you find a 'perfect' one that needs no adjustment. If everybody exchanged their lenses like that, you would soon see retailers account for it in their prices.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-11-2011 at 02:32 PM.