Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightroom 3 - Edit: Photo Restoration

Lightroom 3 - Edit: Photo Restoration

Hi All -

With my purchase of PSE 9 there was a 30-day free trial included for Lightroom 3 so I thought I'd give it a try. There are so many pro Lightroom 3 fans here that you have sparked my curiousity! I just didn't want to spend that much money on it and find out its not for me. It does seem like a pretty nice program even though I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing ...I was a tad lost a first without a "Open" and "Save as" button! I've only been playing around with it for about an hour and watched a tutorial or two on youtube. Worst thing about youtube is you have to go thru so many bad ones to finally find a decent one to learn from.

Can anyone recommend some good free reading material or video tutorials for a real beginner to Lightroom 3? I have 30 days to learn!

This is all I've done so far during my first hour but I couldn't get it the way I would have liked to. For one thing, the spot removal and I weren't getting along very well & I couldn't get just the flower in color...

Thanks,
    Denise

Re: Lightroom 3

For free: tv.adobe.com/.../lightroom

Purchase: www.luminous-landscape.com/.../download-videos.shtml This is where I learned how to master LR.

There are quite a few video podcasts available including: Lightroom for Digital Photographers and Lightroom Killer Tips.

Thanks for the links! I am specifically looking for something to show me photo restoration. If anyone has any other info for either Lightroom 3 or elements I'd appreciate it. I have a photo of my mom (who has passed away) that I'd like to work on. It's from when she was a teenager and in its in pretty bad shape. I also have this one taken in 1909 of my grandparents and uncles. I guess the baby boys wore dresses back then and had long hairor maybe its just an italian thing! My mom swore this was the two oldest boys!In this photo my nana is 17 yrs old and my grandfather is 37! [:O] They got married after they came here from Italy. She was 13 on their wedding day! [:O] [:O]

Don't they look like the happy couple! [:P]

Hi Denise...

I would recommend sticking to PSE.My parents had multiple photo albums that I went through, that required scanning and then editing/restoration via PSE. It's still a work in progress, with an included sample. This photo had a *crease* that went from the top right down through the centre. It took me well over 2 weeks to restore and I had to get down to the individual pixel to blend the proper shades/color. There was also some extreme fading that occurred in the top right quadrant of the image and some discolorations from thetape as the glue aged. I would not have been able to perform this work from within Lightroom.

The main difference between Lightroom and PSE is that Lightroom is a *none-destructive* raw editor as well as a great photo organizer/manager. If you are into editing jpegs, then I would stick with PSE.

Hope this helps.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/1258.Em_2700_s-Old-50.jpg[/img]

Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Since your suggestion to use Elements instead, I've been working on it in there for the last hour. Wow, this photo needs a great deal of help! Anyway, I think it looks somewhat better but I'm not sure how to get rid of the yellow cast in areas.

Now that I have uploaded it, I can see the horrible job I did!Wow, their clothes look really wrinkled now & oops, I broke her necklace!

Final Version ...for now.

hi ddt,

for photo editing [ restoration, alteration and such] I seriously recommend photoshop. Nothing beats it. I was once like you I started with elements thinking it was fine but it wasn