Thread: Image sharpness...... is there such a thing as the image being "too sharp"??

Image sharpness...... is there such a thing as the image being "too sharp"??

Hi guys,

the title says it all... Is there such a thing as the image being too sharp???? like cranking the image sharpness setting on the camera all the way up....

How can you tell if sharpness was cranked up either in camera or post???

Re: Image sharpness...... is there such a thing as the image being "too sharp"??

To much sharpness can ruin an otherwise great image. It´s not only about sharpness, it´s also about details. That´s two different things, but they are related. In-camera sharpness can save you time but sharpness applied in post can be better if you know how to do it. Take a look at the three images I have uploaded exclusively for you [] They are named Sharp, Sharper, Sharpest. Tell me which one you like the best and/or/if any of them are oversharpened []

Sharp

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/4572.Sharp.gif[/img]

Sharper

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/5556.Sharper.gif[/img]

Sharpest

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/4606.Sharpest.gif[/img]

Re: Image sharpness...... is there such a thing as the image being "too sharp"??

Whoa this is the meaning to the phrase "the devil is in the details", because I can not discern the sharpness! You have a very keen eye, or my eye is not artistic! Great question, and fantastic answer everyone!

I vote for photo one as being a bit easier on the eye

Quote Originally Posted by jks_photo
    How can you tell if sharpness was cranked up either in camera or post?

One way is ringing, halos, and aliasing artifacts.

[] Thanks!

#3 is borderline sharp or maybe a tad to much, in my opinion. His hair is starting to look artificial and showing signs of artifacts. But that is just my opinion. I could have exaggerated the sharpening more but that would have been to obvious.

You are right about the color tones. For some reason they changed.

I think JKS started an interesting topic, by the way. Sharpening is not as easy as it sounds. How do we sharpen? What is to little? What is to much? Different sharpening for different situations?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Quote Originally Posted by jks_photo
    How can you tell if sharpness was cranked up either in camera or post?

One way is ringing, halos, and aliasing artifacts.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Of which in both 2 and 3 is really showing, especially at the left shoulder and collar.

It's the same in video. When studios apply too much sharpening, aka, edge enhancement, you see some unsightly halos (particularly in high contrast edges). The Dark Knight is a good example. Watch it on high definition and you start seeing ringing or halos around edges. Same with just regular old photography. If you look at that gentleman's coat, particularly as it contrasts with the grass, you start seeing a halo surrounding the coat. That's too much [artificial] sharpness. []

Hi Johnny,

The images I keep seeing from this guy are more like #3 .... though I