Thread: polarized sunglasses plus 35mm L for photos?

polarized sunglasses plus 35mm L for photos?

is it possible to retain high quality from my 35mm L if i used my prescription high quality polarized lenses? i am replacing my current sunglasses and will have a spare pai,so i am wondering if i could try to use them when possible as a filter of some sort while retaining the quality of my lens? i have shot through them before,but i never paid a huge mind to the results,and since im a bit frugal at times, i want to use them still! its a very light prescription with right a right eye only issue,so i will use the left of course. they are brown in color,so i am certain they will only be used for certain condition, but i am wondering if it is crazy to do so,or even worth the try? anyone have any cool results with this idea? if so please share,and thank you!

Re: polarized sunglasses plus 35mm L for photos?

they would have to be fairly huge sunglass lenses to be able to cover the 72mm diameter of that 35mm L you use. []

I have shot through brown ray-ban aviator sunglasses with good results. They have a golden gradient (filters more sunlight at the top then bottom) which looks very cool, makes trees and things look candy like.

I'd say the only way to know is to shoot a test subject (trees are great for this) on a tripod using the exposure equivalent for both shots and compare in 100% crops.

Share the results I'd expect some effects in the corners since most glasses curved, not flat.

The only issue I could foresee is the prescription. The Lenses are ground to a shape to help your eyes correctly focus light. Other than that if it fills the camera lens it will work.

Here is a thread discussion at POTN that you might find interesting. It's not using sun glasses, but something darker and even cheaper.

photography-on-the.net/.../showthread.php