Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot.....December 20th - Dec26th?

What did you shoot.....December 20th - Dec26th?

It has been raining here for two and a half weeks, localised serious flooding, but we are high and not dry.

The dogs have been stuck inside and are totally over this weather.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8272.IMG_5F00_5943_5F00_002.jpg[/img]

@50mm F2.8 1/50 sec ISO1600

Photo of me, Boxing day, I think I'm ready to rumble.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/1638.IMG_5F00_5962_5F00_HDR_5F00_003.jpg[/img]

@50mm F1.2 0.4sec ISO100

A bit of Nik HDR just to take the sweetness off me.

Thanks for viewing,

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Re: What did you shoot.....December 20th - Dec26th?

<center>

</center>

Top: A shot of my friend who is a Christian missionary in Zambia. I wanted an image that communicated the relationship he shares with his creator.

Bottom left: I was shooting a family's Christmas portrait and decided to grab a shot of the kid. Turned out to be one of my favorite Christmas-themed portraits.

Bottom right: We celebrated Christmas at Amber's parents' house. It was a rare white Christmas for us, and I dragged her outside to document the occasion. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U

The dogs have been stuck inside and are totally over this weather.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8272.IMG_5F00_5943_5F00_002.jpg[/img]

I LOVE this photo and I can so feel their pain!

Rain for you, snow for me &amp; sorry but my dogs are LOVIN" IT!

Two weeks in a row, extraordinary goodfortune for me. This shot represents the most exciting 15 seconds of photography I've ever experienced. The first 8 seconds were spent stopping the car, dropping the coffee, and rolling down the window. Then I grabbed the camera, which I had preset for such a chance encounter (I learned that the hard way). The first three shots were blurry, and the next three were bang on. Then the wolf was gone. I spent the next few hours breathing heavilyinto a paper bag.

Black wolf, Banff National Park
    Canon 1D3, 300 mm f/2.8 lens, 1/2000 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2350._5F00_M3_5F00_4362_2D00_3.jpg[/img]

@Denise- your dogs look like professional models, except the bottom one who is obviosly a stunt dog. It also helps that you take great shots of your pups, good job.[Y]

@Sean- nice work. Your shots are technically excellent, but also grab the viewers focus, tell a story. Great.[Y]

Steve U

Beautiful picture as well as the story!

I believe the rapid raised level of epinephrine caused the first three blurred shots.

That

I was out with the little man weekend after Christmas, and of course brought a camera! I actually grabbed my 5D2 with my 50 1.2(haven't used the 5D2 much at all recently!!) Here are a couple shots...all shot at f1.2

I feel for everybody with all the rain...we've had quite a bit here in Santa Cruz( I know...relative!!). I really feel for the people on the East coast with all the snow and horrible horrible weather...although I just read in the paper here, that our Sierra's and Tahoe, have a snow pack of almost 200%, already.

Here is our Dog, Rajah, waiting for the ball...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/6523.Dajah-Roo-_2800_Large_2900_.jpg[/img]

A little blown out in the clouds...oh well

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2744.Go-Kart-Reflection-_2800_Large_2900_.jpg[/img]

Mason trying to climb the pole...and unsuccessful!!

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4786.The-Sand-_2800_Large_2900_.jpg[/img]

and the last one taken with 5D2 and 24-70 @ 2.8

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/6165.Blow_2E00__2E00_.-_2800_Large_2900_.jpg[/img]

From the Christmas Blizzard.

Nice shot and story on the lone wolf, Jonathan.
    Steve U

Let me start off by saying that i'm brand new to this forum, and new to photography as well. The reviews on this site have been invaluable to me.. the online community in general, really. This is the best I've found! I'm having a blast taking pictures and learning. So.. what did I shoot the 20th-26th? Not much, but I'm please with what I have.

All of these photos were taken around 11 p.m. on the 23rd at Leavitt's Aultorest Memorial Park. Theydo this every year.. they put a candle in a bag by every grave. Happened to be foggy that night so it added a really cool affect.

A little more background about my equipment. The only tripod I own is a little tabletop tripod. (Ordered a Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT Aluminum Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball!) The Camera is a Rebel XT, these were taken with the kit lens, have a f/1.8 50mm prime lens as well.

I thought I'd take a shot at storytelling photos with these since it's such an interesting and beautiful site. So, I set my aperture to f/22, which after a spot reading on one of the lamps, called for a 30" exposure. I may have messed up by not adjusting the reading as I went but for my fingers' sake, I left my settings at the first reading. (freezing cold, no snow for some reason but.. it's northern Utah in December.)

Let me just say.. I am both extremely thrilled and disappointed with the results. I'm amazed that I have a camera that can take these shots with that low of light.. and disappointed in myself. The ONLY reason I used the kit lens instead of the much sharper 50mm 1.8 is because I wanted a wide angle of view.. I failed. I adjusted the zoom on the lens and left it, thinking I was at 18mm. All of these photos were shot at 55mm. Some of them could have been spectacular at a wider angle. Two very hard lessons were learned this first day of shooting. All in all, I am very pleased with myself though.

Again, PLEASE critique me. Any thoughts or suggestions will be taken to heart and tried.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3731.IMG_5F00_1131.jpg[/img]

f/22; 30"; ISO-1600; 55mm

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5658.IMG_5F00_1138.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8037.IMG_5F00_1140.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5270.IMG_5F00_1142.jpg[/img]

f/22; 30"; ISO-1600; 54mm
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers