Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What did you shoot.....December 20th - Dec26th?

Re: What did you shoot.....December 20th - Dec26th?

Hi Rocco,

Welcome to the forum and nice pictures. Great subject. My primary comment, and I make it know that I am still learning about exposure, but you shot most of your pictures at f/22 and ISO 1600. You could have opened up the aperture to let more light in and then dropped your ISO, which would help decrease noise, or allowed you to shorten the exposure. Decreasing the aperture may also benefit the image quality in two ways: "sharpness" of most lenses tests to peak around f8 (of course, depends on the lens) and diffraction (www.luminous-landscape.com/.../u-diffraction.shtml) also negatively impacts your image quality the higher your aperture.

Again, some nice pictures.

Brant

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

Hi Rocco,

Welcome to the forum and nice pictures. Great subject. My primary comment, and I make it know that I am still learning about exposure, but you shot most of your pictures at f/22 and ISO 1600. You could have opened up the aperture to let more light in and then dropped your ISO, which would help decrease noise, or allowed you to shorten the exposure. Decreasing the aperture may also benefit the image quality in two ways: "sharpness" of most lenses tests to peak around f8 (of course, depends on the lens) and diffraction (www.luminous-landscape.com/.../u-diffraction.shtml) also negatively impacts your image quality the higher your aperture.

Again, some nice pictures.

Brant

<div>

Brant,

While the focused image is sharper at f/8, I was looking for acceptable sharpness throughout the entire scene. (storytelling aperture.) For a story telling exposure, you want the maximum depth of field. Generally those are thought to be f/22 or even f/16. Using the kit lens I don't have a focus meter on it.. so, I set aperture to f/22, manually focused on an object about five feet in front of me, recomposed and took my shot. Setting it that way gave me focus from about three feet to infinity.

I wasn't at all concerned with shutter speed. I was using a rc-5 IR remote and had a tripod.. I honestly didn't think the ISO through though.. I suppose I could have gotten away with f/16; ISO 800, 30"... hmm.

Any thoughts on that?
    </div>

Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Just my little daughter... []

7D, 35mm f/1.4L, 1/60, f/2.8, ISO 400, window light

That is the cutest baby ever(I can say that because I don't have kids). Great shot, great lighting.

Thanks, Jonathan...I've been using her as an excuse to getting a 5D MK??. Still working on it. []

Little Christmas photo. Not much photography happening this Christmas.

H
    and-held f2.8 iso-1600 1/20ths

Hope everyone had a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer

Two weeks in a row, extraordinary goodfortune for me. This shot represents the most exciting 15 seconds of photography I've ever experienced. The first 8 seconds were spent stopping the car, dropping the coffee, and rolling down the window. Then I grabbed the camera, which I had preset for such a chance encounter (I learned that the hard way). The first three shots were blurry, and the next three were bang on. Then the wolf was gone. I spent the next few hours breathing heavilyinto a paper bag.

Black wolf, Banff National Park
    Canon 1D3, 300 mm f/2.8 lens, 1/2000 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2350._5F00_M3_5F00_4362_2D00_3.jpg[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Jon, Wow, what a great catch--As a wannabe wildlife photographer,I fully appreciate the combination of luck and skill it took to get this shot---and a black wolf at that---I am really impressed with the exposure with a black wolf and white snow, you managed to get the detail in both. Great day for you, congrats.

Bob
    Bob

Hey thanks Bob! I'm still giddy just reliving that moment. The only post-processing I did was to drop the contrast slightly, which helped to bring out some of the detail like you pointed out. As a side note, the shot has been selected as photo of the month on this site: http://www.canadiannaturephotographer.com/and will be published in the spring edition of Outdoor Photography Canada magazine. My 15 seconds of drama has turned into 15 minutes of fame I guess. But now it's a new year, and the slate is clean... so it's time to get out shooting again and see if I can find somekeepers for 2011. Best of luck in your own excursions!

Wow, Congrats!

I just recently picked up my first publication of Outdoor Photographer, I
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer
    As a side note, the shot has been selected as photo of the month on this site: http://www.canadiannaturephotographer.com/and will be published in the spring edition of Outdoor Photography Canada magazine

Well Then Double Congrats. Make sure you let us know when it actually comes out---I look forward to seeing it.

Bob
    Bob