Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my continued G10 love affair..

my continued G10 love affair..

still vacationing in FL, was getting ready to head to my friend's wedding at disney world when i made my first real attempt at a self portrait, while i was waiting in my hotel room for my sister to get ready.

i'm learning how to exploit this camera's weaknesses for personal gain. it has a lot of noise at even ISO200, but thegrittinesscan really make certain photos pop.

Re: my continued G10 love affair..

Very good.

My buddy's G9 was a noisy SOB too.

was reallydisappointedwith the imagequality. the compact form is the only reason that I carry this but then I really don't mind carrying slr with compact lens. the camera itself costs almost the same as a bare body of low end slr. but it does have it's advantages, one being able to sync with external flash up to 1/4000 and there are just times where image quality is the last bit of your concern, also people generally categorize P&S shooters tourist or amature and don't mind what kinda of picture they take, as soon as you wip out a SLR questions and stares starts to become a problem.

I have a casio exilim point and shoot, and its actually got decent quality, although anything above ISO100 is poor at best. The biggest two advantages IMO with an SLR is the speed (shutter lag, focus, blackout time) and higher ISO performance.

i have a love-hate relationship with this camera.. when it works, it works incredibly well (daylight, or with a mounted flash).. but when it doesn't work, it's a disaster. the challenge is fun, though.. the interface is great (the manual exposure compensation knob is brilliant) and it does perform better than *most* point-and-shoots i've tried (and i'm too canon-biased to really want anything else).. and no matter what, it beats a cell phone camera.

i really hope the next iteration of this camera takes a step backward in the number of megapixels, but a step forward in sensor quality.. 10.1 would be ideal.. my xti had 10.1, and so does my 40d, and it's the perfect amount for simply getting the job done and still having room to work with. if they could give me the noise levels of the xti in a compact, i would be satisfied.

the lens is also a point of pain.. the focal length is great, and it's pretty sharp, and has great color.. but i'm spoiled with all of my fixed aperture L lenses.. i'd pay double for this camera if it had a fixed 2.8 across the entire focal length. high noise in low light is bad enough.. being forced to shoot f/4.5 at the longest focal length merely adds insult to injury. bokeh is practically nonexistent due to the super-small sensor.

I learnt a lesson about when to use a P&S instead of an SLR. I cover a lot of clay pigeon shooting competitions here in Ireland for a shooting magazine. I used to break my back hauling a gun, ammo and a bag full of 'L' glass around the place. Then the editor publishes a cell phone picture on the front cover of the mag, complete with pixels the size of Lego bricks! Bearing in mind his low standards, I now do all my shoot coverage with an Ixus 860 which fits in my shirt pocket and I can pop it into the WP-DC17 waterproof housing when it is raining (which it frequently does in this country). Everyone else seems happy with my pics, only my pride in my work is suffering[]

could i get some advice on the G10 becasue i want to know how close it is to an slr becasue i will be taking a trip this summer where conditions will not allow me to bring expensive gear. How is the manual mode? thanks

it's not horrendous.. it does take some getting used to, but if you're used to DSLRs, you'll find that a lot of those settings are there. RAW shooting definitely helps. due to the variable aperture zoom lens, manual isn't necessarily a dream to work with (it kinda feels like you're using the kit lens on a rebel), but it gets the job done if you don't have anything else on hand. it has been a great pocket camera so far, and has definitely proven worth the money i paid for it.. if only because there are so many "man, i wish i had a camera" moments, and the G10 has the potential to yield a very good quality photograph, if you can work around its quirks. the wide angle portion of the lens is quite good.. but the telephoto is certainly lacking due to its' narrow aperture.. if the 16-35mm f/2.8 and the 24-105mm f/4 are your favorite lenses, you will get along with this camera quite well.. but if you swear by the 50mm f/1.4 and the 70-200 f/2.8 for all of your photo needs.. look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by atticusdsf

if the 16-35mm f/2.8 and the 24-105mm f/4 are your favorite lenses, you will get along with this camera quite well.. but if you swear by the 50mm f/1.4 and the 70-200 f/2.8 for all of your photo needs.. look elsewhere.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The problem is there really isn't anywhere else to look in the P&amp;S world that is much better than the G10, is there? Maybe once the Micro Four Thirds standard becomes more mature and the cameras that use it become smaller there will be a decent alternative in the more compact (than a traditional SLR) camera market.