I took a look at Bryan's standardized tests on the Zeiss 100mm Makro Planar 2.0 Lens andcompared it to the Canon 100L 2.8 Macro--- I just have to ask is the name "Zeiss" really worth the $800 difference in price on this lens.

The Canon seemed to perform better on the ISO 12233 charts as well as the vignetting. It also has AF/IS (although I am not sure how useful this is for macro work)

The Zeiss clearly controlled flare better and the Zeiss isa stop faster, it also has an all steel body---

AsI understand most macro photography heavily benefits or requires flash, soI am not sure the real benefit of F2 for this application. I do understand that the lens can be used for other purposes so maybe for some the extra stop is worth the $800.

If I was buying a Macro (which I will be shortly) Sharpness, would be the deciding factor, But I am wondering what other's thoughts are on the subject-----

Assuming you have the money, is the name "Zeiss" really worth the extra $800 for this application, if so---what am I missing?

Bob