Thread: What am I missing???

What am I missing???

I took a look at Bryan's standardized tests on the Zeiss 100mm Makro Planar 2.0 Lens andcompared it to the Canon 100L 2.8 Macro--- I just have to ask is the name "Zeiss" really worth the $800 difference in price on this lens.

The Canon seemed to perform better on the ISO 12233 charts as well as the vignetting. It also has AF/IS (although I am not sure how useful this is for macro work)

The Zeiss clearly controlled flare better and the Zeiss isa stop faster, it also has an all steel body---

AsI understand most macro photography heavily benefits or requires flash, soI am not sure the real benefit of F2 for this application. I do understand that the lens can be used for other purposes so maybe for some the extra stop is worth the $800.

If I was buying a Macro (which I will be shortly) Sharpness, would be the deciding factor, But I am wondering what other's thoughts are on the subject-----

Assuming you have the money, is the name "Zeiss" really worth the extra $800 for this application, if so---what am I missing?

Bob

Bob

Re: What am I missing???

Bob

Look at the reviews on B&H and see what they say. Unless I am missing something here, the Ziess isn

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    Consider the 180mm, it is > 100mm in image quality and bokeh.

Rick,

Actually, My boss suggested the same thing (he is a former medical photographer) so he believes the more range you can get and still retain the 1:1 , the better. My only concern is that I think it might be a little long for my non-macro needsand it's a 3.5 not a 2.8. When I started looking at the 100L Macro, I was looking for something fairly fast, and could be used for macro and people stuff. But the 180 sure is tempting.

Bob

Bob

Bob

For macro work on a tripod, the DOF is so narrow that you will find yourself at F8 more than f3.5. There is a sweet spot with these lenses for close up macro. The 180mm seems to be F8 to F11. I have taken a few portraits with it and it can produce some amazing results. But its AF is so slow I wouldn

I can tell you that the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS lens is great for both macro and portraits. Here are two shots from the same outing with the 7D and the 100L Macro:

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/4843787555/in/set-72157624491646603/lightbox/][/url]
    EOS 7D, EF 100mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L Macro IS USM, 1/40 s, f/8, ISO 100, handheld 430EX II via OC-E3

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/4780808084/in/set-72157624462568231/lightbox/][/url]
    EOS 7D, EF 100mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L Macro IS USM, 1/160 s, f/5.6, ISO 320

[Y]

I have been debating between the 100 mm L macro, 85 f/1.8/sigma 85 f/1.4, or a flash for my next purchase.

Right now those pictures have me heavily leaning toward the 100 mm f/2.8 L macro. Great pictures.