Thread: 100 mm f/2.8 L IS Macro or.....

100 mm f/2.8 L IS Macro or.....

Hi all,

While I am still learning and playing with my current gear,I may take advantage of the current rebates before they end (checking budgets tonight). Currently, I have the 15-85, 100-400L and the 50 f/1.8 to go with my 7D. I want to keep a somewhatsmall but very flexible kit. I mostly shoot outdoors (scenic, gettingintobirds, etc), pets,and family events. I have been thinking of adding the 35 f/2, 85 f/1.8, 100 macro and/or a flash. Right now I am leaning toward the 100 mm f/2.8 L IS macro for two primary reasons:
    1. I don't have a 1:1macro.
    2. I am thinking the100 f/2.8 could be used for a lot of the samenon-macro photographyas the 85 f/1.8.I'd probably lose someambient light indoor photography, as it seems that you need f/2.2 or lower. But the 100 mm would also give me IS and from what I can tell by all the reviews, has better IQ (sharper, less CA). So I would lose 2 degrees AOV, ~1.3 stops (and associated DOF)but gain IS, macro and some IQ.

But I know a lot of you have some equivalent to both lenses. So I am worried that I am missing something. Any thoughts onwhich lensor between the 430 and 580 flashes?

As always, any comments and guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brant

Re: 100 mm f/2.8 L IS Macro or.....

Regarding the flashes. The 430 is perfect to start out with and has quite a bit of a price advantage on the 580. And if you later decide you want a multi-flash setup, the 430 can still function in slave mode.

As for the macro lens, you
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

But I know a lot of you have some equivalent to both lenses. So I am worried that I am missing something. Any thoughts onwhich lensor between the 430 and 580 flashes?

Good question, I don't think you are missing anything, It just really depends on what your photographic needs are at the moment or for the near future.

I am in a similar situation as you, and The 100L macro is at the very top of my "next" list, Its, sharp, its fairly fast, its macro and as others have pointed out, its a great close-in portrait lens.

Every kit deserves and needs a flash---even outdoor and wildlife photography occasionally warrents a flash--which one depends on your wallet.

So, the choice is purely based on your needs/wants at the moment. I would suggest that when you buy gear, you buy the best within your price range. Example. If you can afford a 580exII, then get that one. Once you realize the power of flash, you can never have enough flash power. With a guide no of 190, it's hard to beat, especially if you want it for some wildlife and bird photography---Now, if you plan to only shoot indoors or close portraits, than a 430 will probably suit your needs.

To share a presonal experience: aboutApril last year, I was considering the 100L for the reasons I mentioned above. In fact, I was ready and had the money to order it, But I saw a post with a humming bird in it, it sparked my interest, and I spent the next week shooting the little guys with available equipment. I quickly realized that I needed more flashes and some triggers to get the results I wanted, So guess where my money went. Now I have 3 flashes and 4 pocket wizards, a couple of stands and an umbrella---but no 100L. It's still at the top of my list. My point, Buy what you need for your current interests.

Good luck,

Bob

Bob

If I may chime here please!

First of all, it

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72
    [*]I don't have a 1:1macro. [*]I am thinking the100 f/2.8 could be used for a lot of the samenon-macro photographyas the 85 f/1.8.I'd probably lose someambient light indoor photography, as it seems that you need f/2.2 or lower. But the 100 mm would also give me IS and from what I can tell by all the reviews, has better IQ (sharper, less CA). So I would lose 2 degrees AOV, ~1.3 stops (and associated DOF)but gain IS, macro and some IQ.

I pre-ordered and got the first 100mm F2.8L IS macro in the state where I live. I was at the store pre-ordering the day it was announced. I can tell you....its great. It will do what you have asked and more. The whole idea of using an IS macro is that you can use it hand held. I have a lot of great close up bug shots that I would have never gotten without it and didn't use a tripod. As for low light portraits, I have done many with my 5D Mark II in the house and they have turned out great. Of course keep in mind with similar lenses in length that are faster the DOF is so narrow, almost to narrow for close up portraits any way.

This picture was in a barn, that had almost no light. Less than you would in your house at night for sure. While it's not a great picture by any means considering how dark it was, shot at F2.8 I thought it turned out well. The settings were F2.8 ISO 640, 1/80. The Is gave me a little cushion to go to a slower shutter speed. Which as much as I shake I need. Notice the DOF at F2.8 as well, how close to the eye is in focus but the nose and back of head is out. I was about 4' away, with a wider aperture it would get to narrow fast. If you have a crop body it will even be narrower. So really thats the problem in low light. So even if you go with the faster lenses, sure you can go lower light. But the DOF gets very tight.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-47-09/IMG_5F00_8167.JPG[/img]

I shoot with a 7D and have the 85 f/1.8 and love it (maybe the best dollar for dollar value in canon lenses). I would love the 100L IS macro, but with the exception of portrait photography, they have little usage in common. The 85 has three advantages: price, max aperture and AF speed (for sports or moving subjects). The macro wins in every other category. But if you don

Sorry I've been out of my own loop here. Work got in the way of play ([:@]) and I am not totally sure what to say...........I want them all []

But thanks everyone for taking the time to repond. They were very helpful and have me thinking of macros assomewhat fast primes and not just for macro photography(which is how I've always thought about it).As my next fastest lens around 100 mm is f4.5 on the 100-400L,I thinkf/2.8is going to seem fast to me, and sufficient for lower light photography (thanks for the picture Rick). So right now I am seeing addingthe 100L macroequal to two different lenses, a macro and a somewhat fast prime.

But, Bob makes a good point. And I've been choosing focal length range over aperture with my lens purchases. So what I probably "need" right now is a good flash to help me compensate plus I can see it helping me with some of my current photography (birds at ~30-40 ft, eliminating shading from the lens barrel with the flash on the 7D, etc).

I am still figuring out how much I have to spend, so we'll see what all I end up ordering (so many toys), but for now, at least the 580.

Thanks again,

Brant